[eDebate] On Fidelity and the Debate Community

David Glass gacggc
Mon Aug 4 13:31:25 CDT 2008

Hi Brent, Hi Mike,

Actually I'm not sure I agree with you on this one...

Adam Jackson and Andy Ellis seem to have taken a principled stand, letting
people know there
are consequences to behavior and actions.

This seems to be an important lesson for people to learn.

Obviously this has nothing to do with my views as to what is acceptable
WITHIN a debate round.  I don't think this should be an in-round argument.
But do you not think people should be held accountable for
their actions, just in everyday life, and especially in professional
contexts?

Again, this has nothing to do with debate arguments.  This has to do with
how we treat each other, period.

It would be quite ironic if this guy Adam were encouraged to speak
forcefully within a debate round as an example of a "protest" or a
"movement" but then was discouraged or chilled from speaking out in "real
life" when confronted with something he felt to be reprehensible.   I mean
seriously, there is a dfference between a "passionate" and "heated"
discussion, and what happened. And how can you endorse actual protest or
social action, but chill people from speaking out in actual situations, when
confronted in such a way?  This is why we have laws against harrassment, and
other workplace norms.  People need to learn to control themselves, and
behave respectfully to each other.

Okay, this is my last email of the day... work needs to get done...

Best regards,
David