[eDebate] An Outsiders Perspective on "No Justice, No Peace"

Ede Warner ewarner
Mon Aug 4 21:14:34 CDT 2008

Creating separatist organizations to prepare minorities for living in a majority world is fine.  Using that however to run from institutional racism that exists in sites of power and privilege are not.  The UDL's are wonderful sites of inspiration, preparation and training for urban students.  They are not a replacement for challenging sites of dominant white power and privilege like national caliber interscholastic debate.

There is no replacement for being a minority in a majority-run democracy.  You can't run or hide from the inevitable impact this has on a minority's life.  There is no evidence that HBCU's have interest in a Black only organization.  There is monumental evidence that HBCU's left NDT debate when they couldn't have audience-oriented, persuasive policy debates with predominately white institutions.

From: "nicholas brady" <nicholas.brady89 at gmail.com>
To:<edebate at ndtceda.com>
Date: 8/4/2008 09:16 PM
Subject: [eDebate] An Outsiders Perspective on "No Justice, No Peace"
So I am not really involved in this argument between Mr. Elliot, Dr. Warner, and (to a lesser extent) Adam but i thought i would chime in a bit of truth to the discussion.

There is evidence for this whole seperatist league thing and it is in the very history of our current CEDA champions. The Baltimore Urban Debate League and other UDLs -- from what i can see -- is more responsible for increasing minority participation than anything else. The reason why Dayvon and others begun debating had nothing to do with Louisville and their project -- they started debating long before they had any knowledge of this whole shabangabang. I think its time we get to a heart of the matter and stop doing this bickering that really helps out nothing.

The UDLs were created to give minority students a chance to open up their argumentative wings and use this as an educational tool to increase reading and comprehension. It was also made because we all know that there are people that are simply made to debate but come from educational systems that give no oppurtunities for debate, any kid from Baltimore -- Dayvon, Adam, and myself included -- was in this situation before the BUDL. The BUDL was a seperate -- and majority latino, black, and female league -- institution from the majority white BCFL. Despite this seperatism of sorts it helped to introduce and foster a love of debate for kids who would have otherwise never had the oppurtunity.

Ask the CEDA champions about seperatist debate organizations and -- if they are telling the truth -- they should tell u that it can be a potentially liberating, highly educational training ground.

With that being said the BUDL has many, many different problems in its organizations and the UDL system does need some reform. This is neither the time nor the place for that, but i'm sure Dr. Warner can attest to the power of UDLs too. I think beyond the posturing Dr. Warner and Mr. Elliot actually agree with each other to a certain extent.

Despite his rude bluntness and incorrect usage, Mr. Elliot is bringing to the table an idea that potentially can be used. I know for a fact that Andy Ellis is suggesting reform to the CEDA districting to would create a seperate league of sorts for UDL debaters and has been passionate about helping to make teams in HBCUs. I think there is room for compromise between the two of you. As much as both of you disdain bridge building -- Mr. Elliot moreso than Dr. Warner -- I think there could be something great in the suggestions of both of ur post.

Just my thoughts

-Nick
Leader of a Crunk Revolution