[eDebate] No Justice, No Peace

Ede Warner ewarner
Mon Aug 4 21:24:53 CDT 2008

Your the type of guy that would have told Harriett Tubman that it's too risky to create that underground.
I'm the type of guy that would have said, "they can stay here."

Your the type of guy that believes patience is defined in the scope of a lifetime.
I'm the type of guy that understands social change may take hundreds of years.

Your the type of guy that uses narrow, self-serving definitions of success,
I'm the type of guy that ignores them.

Your the type of guy that believes you have a unique, privileged hold on objective truth,
I'm the type of guy smart enough to ignore those claims.

Your the type of guy that criticizes someone committed to a vision of change.
I'm the type of guy that waves as you stand still.

Your the type of guy that thinks if he screams loud enough that he is right, people will submit.
I'm the type of guy who knows when to engage in selective hearing loss.

Your the type of guy that never changes the world
I'm the type of guy that does.

You don't get it and you probably never will.  The objective truth you seek to prove, hasn't, doesn't, and will never exist.  I'm cool with my choices and the reasoning you deploy to justify that "you are right" and "I'm wrong" is steeped in a different set of lived experiences.  I see a vision that you can't, don't and probably never will, until it happens.  That drive exists until I see a different vision.  The evidence of my successes and failures works well enough to keep me, and several others pushing forward.

The alternatives you see, don't exist for me and people that look like me.  There is no where to run to, no where to hide from institutional forms of domination.  Creating a segregated league has challenges, difficulties, and doesn't replace the purpose of challenging predominately white institutions.  Figuring out how to better challenge those institutions is an important life lesson, not only for me but for my students.

You are right...I don't have to persuade you that I'm right.  Nor do I have to be persuaded by you.

Keep fighting your good fight Scott...

Ede Warner, Jr.
Director of Debate Society/Associate Professor of Communication
University of Louisville
308E Strickler Hall
502-852-3522
ewarner at louisville.edu