[eDebate] An Outsiders Perspective on "No Justice, No Peace"

nicholas brady nicholas.brady89
Tue Aug 5 00:49:25 CDT 2008

I probably have brought in something potentially dangerous into the
argument. In the latter part of my post, I was saying a compromise would be
to either construct an outside organization and -- in much the same way UDLs
do -- train ur debaters in this kind of environment while still
"integrating" them into the larger debate community structure. Or you can
redraw district maps to create a District X as some members are pushing for
so we can have a majority UDL-school district (by UDL schools, i mean teams
that have a lot of students from UDLs or participate in coaching in UDLs).
Me bringing UDLs into this is not to be used as evidence to create a wholly
separatist institution, but as a means to compromise. I think its useful to
not only have separate institutions but also force integration into larger
society. I think this is much the same way our society works and how this
greater Black Freedom struggle has unveiled itself in the larger society.

Honestly the point of my post was really to help ya'll see that maybe there
is compromise that can actually help out all parties. In much the same way
that many schools participate in the ADA, you can have a seperate
institution that allows for a different form of policy debate (but still is
policy debate) that can act as a training ground and more importantly
perhaps a testing ground for a new evolution in debate. Honestly I see
revolutionary possibilities in some sort of seperate institution: a
district, a region, a league, or w/e. As Stokeley Carmichael would say, you
have to separate until your strong enough to actually force the majority
society to integrate. There actually is not as much difference between
integration and seperation as you might think.

--
Nicholas Brady
BSU Community Service Chair