[eDebate] can someone explain?

David Glass gacggc
Tue Aug 5 09:31:21 CDT 2008

hi Mike,

Thanks...   I wasn't characterizing the arguments in the round; I was
responding to this paragraph of Kevin's (especially the last
line, which I've underlined):

"now, let's be very precise here. she said they did poorly *in that round*.
she did not say 'they suck (as debaters)'. she said 'they sucked (in that
round)'. when a judge gives you a 27, you can say, 'ok, i never want to
debate in front of her again', or you can say, 'ok, let's do better in front
of her next time'. considering the relatively small number of qualified
judges, the former seems more foolish to me: you're likely to argue in
front of a particular judge again, so you might as well begin as soon as
possible the campaign to convince them you don't suck. but even if you
disagree with that assessment, it is fort hays which claimed that other
values can trump purely strategic ones. there are forum-preserving or
forum-enriching values which keep the competitive backdrop intact and
give significance to wins. fabricating evidence might prove strategic, for
example, but it also undermines the structure of fair competition. so too
with striking a black judge. *it might prove strategic in the short run, but
in the long run, it might hurt the game. who wants to pick up ballots in
an all-white boy's club?"*

(end of quote)

I was simply expressing the opinion that it hurts an anti-racism project
to argue that you are hurting diversity even by excluding a judge
who has gone out of her way to tell you she has a negative opinion of you.

that's not a very controversial stance... and it is not a judgement on any
of the
arguments made in the debate (obviously i was not there and cannot comment;
and
obviously I get that Fort Hays' particular args put them in a poor position
respond adequately)

best regards,
david