[eDebate] reply to bryant

Duane Hyland privethedge
Tue Aug 5 20:10:17 CDT 2008

You know.. I've been thinking about this video....at first I was..well..outraged to see a debate professional conducting themselves in that matter (however, I understood the dress thing - what you wear doesn't matter - it's what you say) - but then I thought "what if, at the second each of us had done something shameful, something rash, something that wasn't thought through, someone had a video camera and captured it for posterity.."
?
There's two ways to look at it: The capture of that act would brand us as irrational idiots for life, or the capture of that incident would just represent a single moment in time in our lives and we shouldn't be judged soley on the incident.
?
I hope that the community takes the second approach with the professors in question. Holding sins against people is easy, forgiving sins is tough work - but maybe the world would be better if we forgave..while making the people recognize that the behavior wasn't acceptable.....
?
Just a thought....I know that all of us have minutes in our life, I know I do, that we'd love everyone to take the second approach to..

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that person that he, if he had the power, would be in silencing mankind? If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth; if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by??its collision with error." John S. Mill
?Who said Dr. Who isn't Funny: "Rose: You Didn't Have to Kill him! Dalek: "Neither did we need him to live."
Dalek to Cyberman: :"You are Superior to us in one respect." Cyberman: "What is that?" Dalek: "Dying!"

--- On Tue, 8/5/08, MWBRYANT at aol.com <MWBRYANT at aol.com> wrote:

From: MWBRYANT at aol.com <MWBRYANT at aol.com>
Subject: Re: [eDebate] reply to bryant
To: akbiotech at comcast.net
Cc: edebate at ndtceda.com
Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 7:14 PM

Dr. K,
?
I'm sure you don't know me, though I am very aware of most of the people you refer to as examples. I coached NDT, CEDA and parli for over 20 years and qualified 25 teams to the NDT.
?
I understand your "real-world" analysis of how professionals should look. I am required to wear a tie daily as the Department Chair in an urban university setting and I actually teach classes on how students need to act and behave in professional interviews.
?
But, in the 20+ years I was a part of college debate, I never wore ties or blazers. Not as a competitor or as a coach. That was one of the things that attracted me most to NDT policy debate - no matter what one looked like, one's arguments were the focus of any evaluation. If we had been judged on the quality of our suits, I would never have even had the opportunity to win a debate scholarship to a small eastern Kentucky university and be the first member of my family to ever graduate college.
?
Many of the students I coached during my career were also from poor families. If they had been forced to adopt your standard for debate appearance, many of them would've also been denied the opportunity to compete in college debate. I remain convinced that debaters should dress comfortably, and in a manner they can afford.?My job was to help them develop arguments, not appearances.
?
Some of your examples leave me shaking my head - Tuna and John Meany, for example. A fact I bet you don't know: Both Tuna and I have hired Bill Shanahan in the past to work with our debaters. We both knew that while it was always a challenge to co-exist with someone so capable of scrutinizing the ethics of every decision, Bill was capable of accomplishing far more with debaters?than anyone known for their dapper trendy clothing. Bill put on no pretenses - he showed up for his hiring interview dressed virtually the same as you saw on the video. His sample lecture shocked a group of young Mormons by drawing semantic equivalencies between GOD and DOG. He mesmerized a campus by refusing to wear shoes, despite?the sub-zero winter weather of northern Utah.?The real irony is that Bill was the first?coach to have debaters run race kritiks of debate norms. ?
?
And you have obviously missed some periods of John and Tuna's sartorial evolution. 'Nuff said there.
?
Look, if you don't know Bill, you are likely to think he looks strange. I understand. But that's just part of Bill's?approach to life. He pushes EVERYONE to question their assumptions.?Bill and I did not get always get along, but focusing on his appearance seems to be, simply put, shallow. Have you noticed how not a single person in the video (CEDA Execs included) met your appearance standards? I think you simply may have to accept the fact that there are?different community appearance norms in college policy debate than there are on the high school circuit.
?
One last thing I need to say: I am very troubled by what I saw on the video. Like others, I wish I could've seen the entire video. I think that understanding of the conflict that immediately preceded the current video would provide a fuller context of understanding. Still, there is no excuse for?what took place.
?
And, to be absolutely honest, I felt personal guilt as I watched that video. Seven years away from debate allows me the perspective to understand that many of my own actions as a coach?were indefensible. I recognize that a lot of what I thought I was doing to defend my debaters from the?various forms of unfairness
of institutional?debate simply helped establish a groundwork for the norm of uncivility that seems to currently prevail. I feel like shouting out props to the Towson posse for exposing just how bad?behavior?has become. I know I need to apologize to my own students, associates and colleagues for allowing my own belligerence to?make their experience with debate?less civil than it needed to me. Particularly to Steve Clemmons and Doug Dennis, I expressly want to apologize?for actions I now believe were rooted in racism. Maybe others were even worse than I was, but that doesn't negate that I feel ashamed for the part I played.
My sincere hope is that the debate community can learn from the current experience and learn to act as if there was always a camera pointed at them. If this could possibly happen in a way that doesn't sacrifice people's careers, I think it is possible that some real progress might transpire.?
?
In any event, these issues are too significant to be linked to shallow concerns over appearance.
?
Back to work,
?
Bear