[eDebate] reply to Carver

Art Kyriazis akbiotech
Tue Aug 5 20:14:46 CDT 2008

Note to Mr. Carver:

as Groucho Marx once remarked, I wouldn't want to join a club that would
have me as a member.  obviously mr. carver thinks the ceda website is
some kind of place for posting jokes instead of a serious debate
website.  I posted a very serious note about my availability to judge at
two, and only two, tournaments, those being  Kings College and Clarion.
I specifically emailed the Michigan people that I was unavailable for
their judging needs due to distance, vacation plans and the
un-economical nature of bringing in a hired judge all the way from the
east coast.  I suggested they hire Patrick Rose, Esquire, a former
Harvard debater, a very highly skilled trial and appellate attorney and
policy debate judge who teaches appellate advocacy, moot court and civil
procedure at Thomas Cooley School of Law.

i've been doing this policy debate stuff now more than thirty-five
years.   I had a pleasant year last year coaching high school debate.
Guess they're more respectful down there.

I don't expect your immediate respect.  I know I have to earn it.  But I
take this stuff seriously and I will always flow your rounds and give
you a fair decision.

And being serious, there's casual, there's really casual, and then
there's Shanahan.

Here's a story.  I remember going to the Grammies and the Sony
afterparty in New York City with my clients and their friends Tommie
Morello and Rage Against the Machine about twelve years ago, and even
rock stars dress in black tuxedo Armani, shirt buttoned, no tie, their
women dress in slinky designer dresses, and the rap stars dress in
expensive ski jackets and very expensive sunglasses.  And Armani is a
designer, not a kritik.

Now Rage Against Machine is as radical left as you can get.  Their
website was actually ordered pulled down by the Bush administration
after 9/11 because it was too radical.  They have spent almost twenty
years championing the cause of Mumia Abu Jamal's freedom, which in
Philly is VERY controversial.  And yet they had the courage to come to
this town and say out loud they wanted the man to be free, even though
the cops guarding them wanted to kill them for saying it.

Now I submit, that takes real courage.  Not like hiding behind a
computer and mocking someone's name.  That is a cowardly and stupid act,
by contrast.

So, Carver, when are YOU going to do something as brave as Tommie
Morello and Rage Against Machine?  When are you going to stand up for
your rights, to quote Bob Marley?  What have you done lately to
challenge the status quo, if you're so radical?

I mean, there's a dress code and a conduct code even among rock stars.
You'd think debaters, who truly wish to be rock stars, would have them
too.  Rock stars dress a certain way and conduct themselves a certain
ethical way, at least the good ones like Rage and Bono do.  And Tommie
Morello is really a humble guy.

--Art Kyriazis