[eDebate] Bravery [ans Kyriazis]

Les Phillips les_phillips98
Tue Aug 5 20:37:07 CDT 2008

I have known Bill Shanahan for more than twenty-five years.  His bravery is extraordinary.  He has demonstrated it at every stage of his career. and has taken risks that anyone else would shrink from.  He is also one of the most phenomenally honest people in forensics -- actually, one of the most honest people I've ever met.  He teaches intellectual integrity, and he lives it.  Also, he can reconsider his positions and admit error.  Bill and I have had profound, fundamental disagreements over the years, but I have never doubted his sincerity or authenticity (pace Trilling).  There isn't time or space, here, to get into his enormous contributions to the activity.

I don't know enough about the quarters round at CEDA to know whether Bill was right or wrong in that situation; but I know who Bill is.

As for attire in the activity:  Mr. Kyriazis, quite simply, the college debate community evolved far away from your standard many years ago, and that is simply that.  Professor Shanahan [forgive me, Bill -- *Dr.* Shanahan] would, of course, be happy to defend your right to wear what you wish to tournaments.

Les Phillips