[eDebate] Available to Judge Clarion University Tournament

JP Lacy lacyjp
Tue Aug 5 22:11:06 CDT 2008

Honestly, this post made me laugh...But, then I thought about it.

I think this post highlights the reality where we live.

Many highly qualified judges are "excluded" from the activity because we
cannot pay them what their time is worth.

Art's numbers seem absurd at first glance. Honestly, they aren't
unreasonable to any professional. Do the math.

Thirty dollars an hour equates to a decent job. Not a dream job. Not
enough to justify four days of travel, especially if you are taking time
off from work & family.

Most of our tournaments require judges that work at a far lower than the
real market rate for a weekend of travel & true intellectual engagement.

Alumni judges show up when they have the opportunity, most at a monetary
loss.

We should celebrate those people. They put in the hard hours to educate
our debaters in real competition. They do a fantastic job, with little
financial reward. Far less financial reward than their time is really
worth.

Debate funding puts us in a difficult circumstance:

Good judging is, in reality, worth more than any of us are capable of
paying.

Many alums cannot afford the luxury of judging for "free." (Given the
time, travel and work expectations.)

I really do hope for a day when we can pay debate alums what it costs
them to travel & judge at a debate tournament. Their input into the
development of good debate can be and has been astronomical.

Until then, we rely on dedicated volunteers to judge debates.

(Yes, that definitely applies to *all* you coaches, assistants, grad
assistants, and everyone else who shows up to judge a tournament who
could be making 'bank' in the private sector. Compare your pay to the
fairly reasonable 30 bucks an hour...)

You "volunteer" judges and your passion for debate have built
generations of great debaters.

Good coaches help, but good judges help more. In all honesty, I think
debaters learn more from judges than just about anyone else in the activity.

The reality is that most debates teams can't afford to pay people what
they're worth: A competent professional capable of judging a debate
round could make a good deal more in similar circumstances.

Until we can reimburse volunteers what they are really worth, we'll
continue to depend on "volunteers" and their love for debate.

--JP

ps -- For you volunteer judges: Be sure to incorporate your hourly
travel time, time off work, carbon offsets, gas money, housing costs,
food allocation, plus entertainment and so on into your tax return. I
hope I'm not belittling what it takes to get to a debate tournament. If
it really does cost you more than a grand to judge at a debate
tournament, you should at least be able to write it off...