[eDebate] FWD: Uplift progression, not pettiness]

Ede Warner ewarner
Wed Aug 6 19:35:44 CDT 2008

From: "Andy Ellis" <andy.edebate at gmail.com>
To:eDebate <eDebate at www.ndtceda.com>
Date: 8/6/2008 08:04 PM
Subject: [eDebate] FWD: Uplift progression, not pettiness]
>From Shauntrice Martin

Subject: Uplift progression, not pettiness
From: Shauntrice Martin <shauntricemartin at yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, August 06, 2008 4:43 pm
To: andy at baltimorecollegedebate.org

From: Shauntrice Martin <shauntricemartin at yahoo.com>
Subject: Fw:
To: "Me" <shauntricemartin at yahoo.com>
Date: Wednesday, August 6, 2008, 7:36 PM

--- On Wed, 8/6/08, Shauntrice Martin <shauntricemartin at yahoo.com>
wrote:

From: Shauntrice Martin <shauntricemartin at yahoo.com>
To: "Me" <shauntricemartin at yahoo.com>
Date: Wednesday, August 6, 2008, 6:07 PM

The real question we have to ask ourselves is this: as revolutionaries,
change-makers, and genuine organic intellectuals why do we decide to
fight in public among our common enemies? El Hajj Malik El Shabazz
talked about this. What positive solutions and rebuilding can we gain
from acting a fool? Being uncouth and displaying a horrid lack of
decorum neither promotes change nor accomplishes liberation. I believed
in the Louisville project whole-heartedly during my two year tenure.
Even when I was put off the team, I still believe(d) the debate
community was an inherently racist institution set up to maintain status
quo.

I have never posted on edebate and this will be the only time you see a
post from me. I was Deven's partner for the longest amount of time. He
helped me grow intellectually and spiritually. We were one of the most
competitive teams in Louisville's history (from the Liz/Tonia era to
now). I'm not going to let anyone talk crazy about someone who has been
a brother to me. I could spill all kinds of information of people trying
to sleep with people, folks threatening to slit throats, being sexually
explicit in front of children, and other true events?but they are all
petty and irrelevant to the struggle. I'm sure Kentucky , Wake,
Northwestern, and all debate teams have their internal issues?but people
are dying in the streets while we type. Little girls are homeless. 13
year old Black boys are being sent to adult prison for 20 years--and in
case you're thinking they're murderers and rapists, they stole parked
cars. Working class people are being evicted. Native Americans are being
forced to breathe in uranium dust and the USFG breaks contracts with
them all the time. Police in Dayton Ohio tased a blind Black woman.
People like me support their entire family on less than $30,000 a year.
Those who do give a fuck about real issues need to quit bitching and do
something substantive (which involves you getting off edebate and off
your ass). Anybody who is willing to engage this nonsense is more
superfluous than a talking peanut M&M?it's kind of funny for 30 seconds
and then you need to move on with your life and take care of business.
Besides that, I'm positive that a student at the University of
Louisville (former or otherwise) has the right to confidentiality
concerning certain happenings. It's sad that someone in a position of
authority would so grossly break that confidentia
lity...but it is what
it is.

Whatever gets aired about me personally doesn't matter. The I and I
know Jah go protect me, cah de rasta empress doh fear nuttin. What truly
matters is how we proceed from here. These fictitious and malicious
divisions are distractions (like Marx said) that allow  all the
fucked-up conditions in this society to thrive.

Jah Bless
Shauntrice L. Martin