[eDebate] Technology and debate

JP Lacy lacyjp
Wed Aug 6 21:46:42 CDT 2008

Basic rule: No outside assistance while you are debating. (Food & other
sustenance exempted)

1. IM: No IM that gives you assistance. Not even a "Go fight win!" Best
to stay off of chat to avoid appearance of impropriety.

2. Research during debates: Do it! If you can beat your opponents
arguments with a few minutes of online research, more power to you. No
rule stops you from running to the library, using the card catalog,
buying a newspaper, reading a book you have in a backpack, or reading an
article you have saved on your computer. I don't see a good place to
draw this line other than "no research other than your own during a debate."

3. Home server access: Yes, as long as it doesn't violate the "Basic
rule." If you can find cards in your off-site electronic backfiles, good
for you. Just don't accept help from others telling you where to look.
Don't use new files posted to your server after the debate has begun.

I really don't know how to enforce & verify these basic rules. I just
think they're basic rules. If everyone complies, no problem. If problems
arise then we can revisit the "Basic rule" & forbid people from internet
access during debates. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Do people actually go outside the "No outside assistance" rule these
days? If things escalate to the point where every team needs an
"electronic coach" during debates, then we'll have a whole mess of
problems to deal with. Best to leave the rule as it stands.

--JP