[eDebate] Technology and debate

JP Lacy lacyjp
Wed Aug 6 23:02:40 CDT 2008

Really?

I listed some "rules" in an off the cuff manner & there is almost no
objection?

JT's Marxist argument is a strong one: Sometimes teams rely on what they
see as holes in resource rich squads work. A surprise position gives
them a leg up, even if its only a one trick affair. Are things really
more fair if we let the resource rich (who may enjoy better internet &
database access) exploit their advantage even more?

I honestly don't know if anyone has an answer to the "cheating" DA,
other than the honor system.

I know no one wants to cheat to win, but what happens when competitive
pressure really comes to bear?

I do *hope* we never enter the "electronic coach" age, but do we have
any way to enforce these rules other than our own pride?

--JP