[eDebate] Technology and debate

Zompetti, Joseph jpzompe
Thu Aug 7 09:54:19 CDT 2008

I agree with JP.  This is a serious problem.  While I cannot prove it, I judged a debate last fall where a coach (who recently graduated) was watching a round with one of her teams.  Of course, I have no problem with that...in fact, I encourage it if folks have a round off.

However, during the debate, the coach was frantically texting on her cell phone while one of her debaters appeared to be checking their email or IM's or something.  Again, I can't prove it, but it looked suspicious.

The point -- whether it actually happened or not -- was that it COULD have happened very easily.  We really need to address this as a community.

Joseph Zompetti

Joseph P. Zompetti, Ph.D.
Associate Professor & Director of Forensics
School of Communication
Illinois State University
Campus Box 4480
Normal, IL  61790-4480
office: (309) 438-3277
e-mail:  jpzompe at ilstu.edu

Everything you can imagine is real.
--Pablo Picasso

________________________________

From: edebate-bounces at www.ndtceda.com on behalf of JP Lacy
Sent: Wed 8/6/2008 11:02 PM
To: matthew farmer
Cc: edebate at ndtceda.com
Subject: Re: [eDebate] Technology and debate

Really?

I listed some "rules" in an off the cuff manner & there is almost no
objection?

JT's Marxist argument is a strong one: Sometimes teams rely on what they
see as holes in resource rich squads work. A surprise position gives
them a leg up, even if its only a one trick affair. Are things really
more fair if we let the resource rich (who may enjoy better internet &
database access) exploit their advantage even more?

I honestly don't know if anyone has an answer to the "cheating" DA,
other than the honor system.

I know no one wants to cheat to win, but what happens when competitive
pressure really comes to bear?

I do *hope* we never enter the "electronic coach" age, but do we have
any way to enforce these rules other than our own pride?

--JP