[eDebate] defending debate

Steinberg, David L dave
Thu Aug 14 09:48:02 CDT 2008

Some humble ramblings (and I will get to updating the calendar later today....)

I believe that Paul's observations are on point and well stated.

It seems to me that the responsibility for us to present ourselves and our programs in professional and positive ways consistent with the mission of our institutions is not new.  Thankfully, because we do not seek or receive much attention, we usually remain far enough below the radar for the abuses Malcolm mentioned (cursing, drinking, driving while exhausted) and for the peculiar nature of our debates (speed reading, sidestepping the topic, various performances) to go relatively unnoticed.

The "exceptional moment" may be to us one anomoly, but it may be all it takes to bring us into the attention of others important to our continued support.

We have received incrementally more attention lately.  I do not worry about rants on racist or ideologically based blogs being taken seriously by people important to me.  And for the most part, mainstream media attention has been relatively positive.  Thankfully, the AP report and news bit I saw about Bill was sketchy, and focused primarily on the mooning in something of a humorous way (though not complementary to Bill).  I don't think my Dean spends a lot of time on You Tube.....  But I do know that deans, department chairs, presidents and provosts do communicate with each other.  Years ago I first heard about the UCLA van crash from my Dean who had learned about it from his USC counterpart....   The point I am trying to make here is that we enjoy less anonymity and are not as far below the radar now as we once were.

Without reference to the CEDA Nats incident, we as a community and culture have extablished some patterns which combined with increasing visibility and calls for acountability, may come back to threaten us (as outlined by Malcolm).  My thought is not so much that we defend, but rather that we preempt by positive promotion.

Yes, the activity will almost certainly survive.  But individual jobs and programs suffer each time an administrator, fellow faculty member, or alumni (whose support we need) lessens their respect for who we are and what we do.  And isn't part of our job to reach out to those people?  This can impact reappointments and considerations of travel budgets, promotions, and institutional status in concrete as well as subliminal ways.  My primary concern is for our jobs and our positions within our institutions.

Malcolm's comparison to athletic coaches is not well chosen. Because they are in the spotlight of public and institutional attention, they have to consider their behavior and public image all the time.  My friends who are athletic coaches sometimes avoid going to the supermarket, because they have a dress code when they do so, and they will be recognized by strangers as one of the coaches.  When the UM and FIU football teams fought at the Orange Bowl, jobs were on the line.  And coaches, faculty, and administrators all the way to the University President were called upon to defend Intercollegiate Football as consistent with the mission of the university.  The previous UM baseball coach was widely criticized for having a drink in an airport bar with a 22 year old team member who had already graduated.  The were on the way home from the College World Series; the player had been drafted.  The incident was used as one excuse by the University to fire the coach.  Every time a UM Football player gets a traffic ticket, the team is referred to as thugs, and critics call for the death penalty for the program.  Bobby Knight has survived despite significant criticism, but how many less outstanding coaches have not?  And whenever he throws a chair or grabs a student athelete, or some other high profile coach is found drinking with students or strippers, or even using racist or sexist language, yes, there are discussions about the nature of amateur athletics and whether they have a place in our institutions of higher learning.  Fortunately for them, along with the negative attention, they also generate positive attention, significant revenue, and even student applications for admissions, so their programs are rarely at risk.  There is a much stronger presumption in favor of athletic programs than debate.

Yes, I think we should be able to defend debate, but also take steps to ensure it is defensible.  What I mean by this is mostly individual.  If we personify professionalism as we know it as directors, educate our students, represent our institutions positively, and work to achieve the institutional mission of our employers, we should be able to do so.  Our professional association also has a role in this, as do our (individual) graduate programs.

And whenever possible, rather than DEFEND, we should PROMOTE debate.  When I began this journey, I never imagined how much of my job would be involved with educating others outstde debate about the value of debate, and promoting my program and the activity of competitive academic debate.  And it took me many years to understand the decision-making processes made within the institutions.  We should all be able to recite our college or university's mission statement, and explain in detail how we fit within the published strategic plans of our departments, colleges, and universities.  The benefits Paul listed are a good start, and the famous Parcher document is outstanding, but all of that needs to be tailored to the audience, which is not that hard when you apply it to mission statements and strategic plans.  Its like reading the judging philosophy before the round.  My guess is that Mike Hester has done a masterful job of this, as his titles attest to!  Mike, if you have documents like the Parcher one which you can share, I think many of us would benefit from that.

I also think that CEDA can provide more proactive leadership through development of a well thought out prescriptive code of conduct which we can promote, use as a teaching tool, and apply, not just burry somewhere as another document.  And Paul is absolutely correct that we will all benefit from more professional debate educators (usually PH.D.s), who have a stake in the academy.

And no, Malcolm, not kidding.

David L. Steinberg

Director of Debate, University of Miami

P.O. Box 248127