[eDebate] the Pittsburgh Post Gazette is a joke

Duane Hyland privethedge
Fri Aug 15 14:16:59 CDT 2008

HI, I don't think the author has an agenda. I think there is a lot of stuff in the debate community that should NEVER be up on Youtube, or even written about in an open forum like this (referencing a prior post from another author which, if seen by administrators, would throw more fuel on the fire.) It seems like a fair description of what happened.
?
I can tell you that this incident is resonating through higher education circles that go beyond normal school administration. My wife is very involved at the administrative level in the higher ed community, and she fielded a question about this incident at a meeting she was at today (she is a high school LD coach, but people just know she coaches debate so people ask questions from time to time) so more people than your deans are now asking questions....
?
I still think it's a meaningless incident, and we've all done stuff we don't want out there on Youtube...but I'm afraid it's going to get worse before it gets better.
?
H.

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that person that he, if he had the power, would be in silencing mankind? If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth; if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by??its collision with error." John S. Mill
?Who said Dr. Who isn't Funny: "Rose: You Didn't Have to Kill him! Dalek: "Neither did we need him to live."
Dalek to Cyberman: :"You are Superior to us in one respect." Cyberman: "What is that?" Dalek: "Dying!"