[eDebate] Fall Out & The High School World

michael hester uwgdebate
Mon Aug 18 08:01:11 CDT 2008

you live in Texas, where high school football is KING.

when parents question whether they should allow their kid to debate based on
this incident, you might ask them whether they've checked YouTube for brawls
that occur in high school football. the search link reveals 21 clips:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=+high+school+football+brawl&search_type=&aq=f

given that this was a college incident (thus not taking place in high
school), you could broaden the search to "football brawls" - 636 clips

http://www.youtube.com/results?orig_query=high+school+football+fight&search_query=football+brawls&orig_query_src=2

you can then tell them that, unlike any or most of those clips:

1) there were no punches thrown in this incident and no no was injured;
2) no charges were filed;
3) no laws were broken

you can then explain to them that, unlike college debate, high school debate
is much more highly regulated in terms of appropriate behavior.

i.e., i sympathize with your dilemma. however, i think that it's feasible to
construct a fairly strong case that what happened after (not in) one debate
(by people who weren't participants) at one college tournament should not be
the determining factor as to whether a parent should allow their child
debate in high school.

hester