[eDebate] Fall Out & The High School World

Tara Tate tara_l_tate
Mon Aug 18 10:33:52 CDT 2008

Disclaimer:  I do not speak for the organization that I am President of.   The members of that organization can speak for themselves.

I do not coach in state where football is king.  Immodestly stated, I coach in the most well-supported public school district for debate in the country and I am still having to answer administration emails about the incident.  My fear is what is happening to the programs that are not existing in a world where "debate is king."

The problem is not simply whether I can mount a strong case for debate in lieu of the youtube video.  Your arguments, of course, assume a world of extremely rational individuals who allow for the case for debate to be constructed at all.  More times than not, that is not the audience that we are dealing with.  Fortunately, the Glenbrook administration and Glenbrook parents are sold on the values of debate.  I probably am in the minority in regards to the high school community.    Most parents/administrators don't take the time to fully understand debate.    My "very persuasive" case can fall on deaf ears.  Ask the hundreds of high school programs that are cut each year for much more shallow rationales than this.

My next question, simply, is why should I have to fight to construct a case for debate?  On top of justifying my budget, time away from school, long hours, etc. that I am constantly having to do, why do I now have to add this to my plate of one more criticism of debate that I have to answer?  I should not have to.  This job is hard enough without having to constantly "cover" for my colleagues whether it is the youtube video or poor judgment in edebate posts or inappropriate behavior by judges at tournaments.  We make "selling debate" much harder on ourselves than we have to.

Mike, I know you well enough to know that you are sympathetic and I don't find your response to be out of line at all.  I just wish that high school coaches had the audience that would rationally listen to what you suggest...most don't.  As for Mr. Sanchez' post, there is a huge difference between Calum's "pollution good" lecture and the youtube video.  Bluntly put, I don't think I will be calling on you to rationalize the benefits of high school debate to my administration or parents any time soon...

Respectfully and with an open mind to the dialogue,
Tara Tate
GBS Debate

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:01:11 -0400From: uwgdebate at gmail.comTo: mcneil.debate at gmail.com; edebate at ndtceda.comSubject: Re: [eDebate] Fall Out & The High School World
you live in Texas, where high school football is KING. when parents question whether they should allow their kid to debate based on this incident, you might ask them whether they've checked YouTube for brawls that occur in high school football. the search link reveals 21 clips:http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=+high+school+football+brawl&search_type=&aq=fgiven that this was a college incident (thus not taking place in high school), you could broaden the search to "football brawls" - 636 clipshttp://www.youtube.com/results?orig_query=high+school+football+fight&search_query=football+brawls&orig_query_src=2you can then tell them that, unlike any or most of those clips:1) there were no punches thrown in this incident and no no was injured;2) no charges were filed;3) no laws were brokenyou can then explain to them that, unlike college debate, high school debate is much more highly regulated in terms of appropriate behavior. i.e., i sympathize with your dilemma. however, i think that it's feasible to construct a fairly strong case that what happened after (not in) one debate (by people who weren't participants) at one college tournament should not be the determining factor as to whether a parent should allow their child debate in high school. hester