[eDebate] Fall Out & The High School World

J T jtedebate
Mon Aug 18 11:41:59 CDT 2008

I'm not sure pointing fingers at others activities is entirely productive....seems like the same behavior as posting the original YouTube video, or the recent attack video against Shanara posted.  Also, unless a coach was involved personally in these brawls, then the viedeos/argument would likely still fall on what T. Tate called "deaf ears".  Instead of pointing out how other activities act a fool, how about just explaining that that type of thing is the extreme exception, not the norm--it's the truth after all.

michael hester <uwgdebate at gmail.com> wrote: you live in Texas, where high school football is KING.

when parents question whether they should allow their kid to debate based on this incident, you might ask them whether they've checked YouTube for brawls that occur in high school football. the search link reveals 21 clips:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=+high+school+football+brawl&search_type=&aq=f

 given that this was a college incident (thus not taking place in high school), you could broaden the search to "football brawls" - 636 clips

http://www.youtube.com/results?orig_query=high+school+football+fight&search_query=football+brawls&orig_query_src=2

you can then tell them that, unlike any or most of those clips:

1) there were no punches thrown in this incident and no no was injured;
2) no charges were filed;
3) no laws were broken

you can then explain to them that, unlike college debate, high school debate is much more highly regulated in terms of appropriate behavior.

i.e., i sympathize with your dilemma. however, i think that it's feasible to construct a fairly strong case that what happened after (not in) one debate (by people who weren't participants) at one college tournament should not be the determining factor as to whether a parent should allow their child debate in high school.

hester