[eDebate] Fall Out & The High School Worl

michael hester uwgdebate
Mon Aug 18 11:58:55 CDT 2008

i think comparisons do help. people are falling over themselves to cite a
bare ass as the downfall of civilized debate, and yet, that same logic is
rarely applied to crazy stuff that happens in or around sports, politics,
etc.

if a parent told me they were worried about their child being injured
playing a particular sport i coached, i'd make sure to discuss with them the
relative risks of injuries participating in other activities.

this isn't "pointing fingers" via some sort of "but they do it too"
argument. this is forcing people who clearly are wearing narrow blinders to
expand their viewpoint and recognize that a)such reasoning egnages in hasty
generalization (Hasty G, yo!) and b)understand that, yes, this is rare in
debate, even more rare than in other activities their child may participate
in.

it's not either/or, it's both/and:

Mom: well i just don't know about this debate thing that Susie wants to do.
my friend Jane saw a man moon someone at a debate

Coach: yes, ma'am that did happen, but keep in mind, that was an isolated
event at a college tournament between two people who weren't actually
participants in the debate.

Mom: well, it was still gross, and i don't want my daughter to see a bare
male bottom until she's married!

Coach: yes, ma'am, that's reasonable parenting. Keep in mind, as gross as it
was, it was one isolated event. compared to other extracurricular
activities, debate is by far the safest place for your daughter. if she's
cheering on the sidelines, she's more likely to witness profanity, actual
physical brawls, and male nudity - heck, maybe even full frontal. streakers
prefer sporting events to debate tournament, y'know.

Mom: well, i guess i hadn' t thought of it like that. i suppose there's
risks in whatever she does

Coach: yes, ma'am, you're absolutely right. the good news is that the risks
of such behaviors are much lower in debate. less risk of a brawl, less risk
of objectionable behavior of nearly every kind in fact. PLUS, your daughter
will learn how to craft and articulate well-reasoned arguments.

Mom: doesn't that just mean she'll want to argue more with me about her
allowance?

Coach: oops, i said too much!

as for the "deaf ears" point, that's terminally non-unique (to borrow a
phrase). folks that don't listen to reasoned arguments are just as likely to
keep their kids out of debate b/c when they heard someone say "debate club"
they thought they said "The Beta Club" and they always thought FBLA was
superior to Beta Club. the most we can do is present the best arguments we
can - both in favor of debate by itself but also in favor of debate in
comparison to the alternatives.

hester