[eDebate] Fall Out & The High School World

Mariam Willis razianwillis
Mon Aug 18 12:33:09 CDT 2008

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for this post.  Certainly very relevant and worth addressing for many.

I am currently the Co-director of Debate at Appalachian
State University and am a former HS English teacher.

I have a few suggestions for you.

1) Do not put the 'incident' on the agenda of your parent
meeting.  Do not address it in any situation
unless or until it is actually introduced to the conversation by someone else,
and then, do not permit that discussion to become the focus.  Keep it light.  Only address questions as they are
posed.  There's a good chance parents
won't bring it up.  Especially after the
next two weeks, we will all have moved onto some other sensational media spin
and kids will be back to school--a host of new chaos.

2) Do address appropriate behavior on your team conduct
through a contract or something similar.
You may be able to replicate Tuna Snider's post concerning his response
to administrative inquiries.

3) Explicitly address cigarette smoking and drug use in your
team conduct.  We deal with students of
age who can choose to smoke or drink alcohol, but still attempt to create a
culture that promotes health and wellness, especially at tournaments.  Our syllabus reads:

As a member of the App State Forensic
Team, you are a representing the University and the best of its intellectual
life. Therefore, the following code of conduct reflects minimum behavioral
expectations of team members when traveling to tournaments or participating in
civic or service activities:

1. Team members will dress appropriately as to present themselves in a
professional and courteous manner.

2. There will be absolutely NO alcohol or illegal drug use, or the
suspicion of such, during or prior to tournament, civic or service activities.

3. We, the program directors, discourage the use of tobacco products.

4. There will be no crude or ill mannered comments or conversation at
meetings, during tournaments, or civic and service activities.  Students are to conduct themselves with
courtesy and to practice professionalism at all times.

5. We, the program directors, discourage the use of foul language at
meetings, during tournaments, civic or service activities.

Consequences

In the event that a student breaches
the code of conduct, s/he will receive a written warning to be kept on
file.  On the second written warning
during the academic year, we, the program directors, may remove the student
from the traveling team and/or participation with the program indefinitely.

4) All programs can secure their reputation within their
institutions by hosting public debates, conversation forums, or philosophical
conversation groups that showcase the best of what we all do and easily connects
to the community at large.  Even better,
have your students organize these.  Their
parents will be very proud, as will your administrators.  If you would like more information about how
to easily do this, send me a message.

5) Participation on our team is a privilege, not a
right.  We invest a lot of time in each
other.  Protect other productive team
members, by enforcing your team conduct and consequences.  This will show parents and administrators
that you are good for you students, and create/maintain your positive team
culture.

6) We cannot teach that which we do not know.  If you are aware that reactive behavior or
cigarette, alcohol, or drug use is a problem for you; get help with it before
it brings your program down.
Fundamentally, maintaining _your_ team and _your_ budget will be about
your presence and relationships where you are.

Best,

Mariam Razian Willis
Appalachian State University
Communication Department