[eDebate] The CEDA response is sickening

V I Keenan vikeenan
Fri Aug 22 16:21:27 CDT 2008

To whomever:

"Unless
I am mistaken, there was no organizational action after the round, there was

no organizational position developed at the CEDA business meeting, the topic

meeting or until the beginning of August. "

You are, in a word, mistaken.

Just because not everything is in the public domain, just because it is not
posted on the contentious forum of Edebate, just because it does not have
it's own YouTube video, does not mean a thing did not happen.

You are factually incorrect on the first two parts of your timeline; and I'm
not particularly sure why you see this as part of the Topic Meeting agenda,
but I'm sure it adds nicely to the rhetoric.

You are entitled to your opinion about the quality of the CEDA response, or
the the actions of Fort Hays, or the responses of the community.  It IS a
contentious issue.  It IS a sensitive issue given that it is now public that
someone's employment was jeopardized - a reality the "organization" tried to
handle appropriately by using discretion.  But it is also incorrect to say
the "organization" was not looking at it.

I just think it's important for folks to know that this is not a
johnny-come-lately response from "the organization" - YOUR organization.
It's important to know because Darren's email and the public statement talk
about how we move forward, and how we need input from each other to move
forward.  If you want to throw your hands in the air and fiddle while Rome
burns so that, "this
congregation of arrogant, impotent and self-righteous fools can disband",
it's your prerogative.  If you still believe that this activity has
something to offer, participate in the dialogues at the opening tournaments
in the next few weeks.

Rather than assign blame today, I'd rather think about how we can get Fort
Hays back on the circuit, and how we can improve as educators, coaches, and
advocates of intellectual discovery.  I think in the policy paradigm, they
call that a plan . . .

-VIK

>From the CEDA statement:
"As a professional organization, CEDA is always striving to improve its
practices. We will be opening a dialogue among our membership about how to
improve curriculum and professional conduct at future competitions.
Specifically, before the video controversy the organization began a review
of its by-laws to determine the best ways to further promote educationally
and professionally appropriate behavior among its members. The organization
has also recently launched a new curriculum review to ensure that best
practices can be taught in schools across the country. We also welcome the
opportunity to work with Fort Hays, and all of our member institutions, to
provide opportunities for students to debate."

--
Vik Keenan
Director - Baruch Debate, CUNY