[eDebate] Presidential Reaction/Call for Responsible Action

Paul Leader leaderdb8
Fri Aug 22 16:30:24 CDT 2008

Darren--Thank you for your well-reasoned, kind, calm words.  If I agree about anything, it is that executive action by CEDA and NDT is not urgent.
Paul Leader
P.S. If fear, there is no future for Fort Hays debate, and thanks to those responsible

> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:40:53 -0500
> From: delliott at kckcc.edu
> To: CEDA-L at ndtceda.com; edebate at ndtceda.com
> Subject: [eDebate] Presidential Reaction/Call for Responsible Action
>
> Dear Community Members,
>
> As President of CEDA, I hope that as an organization we can begin moving forward in a direction that is both productive and self reflexive.  It is clear we have a lot of work to do.  I am confident we have the people to do the work.  Today I am deeply concerned about the future of Fort Hays Debate.  I am concerned about the debaters currently at Fort Hays State.  And I am equally concerned for Bill and his family.  In the larger scope, I am concerned with how we conduct ourselves, both at tournaments and in this forum and others like it.  I appreciate and echo the comment of Gabe Cook from this afternoon.
>
> I would ask the community to begin 2 courses of action:
>
> 1.  We increase the level of respect in these forums, model civility, and begin practicing a moment of calm.  I know this is tough, especially as emotions are running high right now.  But now more than ever, we need that civility.  Everytime someone is attacked on this list serv or in similar forums, it only provides evidence for statements by those in authority who have chosent to "blame" college debate for what happened.  Blaming any debater for what happened and indicting them publicly makes you part of the problem.  It allows President Hammond to make comments that debate has sunk to a new low of civility.  Blaming any of the participants in the video, makes you culpable for the comments being made and the media sensationalizing this event.  Attacking anyone means we are destroying ourselves internally.  What we need now is an organized, congenial, united front as we move forward in our attempt to secure the safety of our member programs, and all the programs who might consider joining us in the future.  Please do not undo the work of so many people working so hard to, as ML stated so eloquently, "build bridges".

> [...]

Be the filmmaker you always wanted to be?learn how to burn a DVD with Windows?.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/108588797/direct/01/