[eDebate] The Content of Debates

Sun Aug 24 11:37:20 CDT 2008

So, taking a dump in a bag and giving it to the other team should be protected
by the organization? How about peeing on the 1AC text as an act of protest
within rounds?

So, simulating homosexual, or heterosexual, rape in rounds--to the point that
other competitors are in tears and could probably make sexual harrassment
claims--we should protect this too.

So, having such a vile presentation of ways in which we can all masturbate, so
vile that even the debaters themselves are so embarressed they want the video
taken down from the web--that should be protected and condoned by CEDA and NDT.

Students stripping down naked and debating in the nude..that is to be protected.

So, personal attacks on students in debates...some so vile that even I won't
write exactly what was said in this public forum...that is to be protected?

So, personal attacks on students in debates, personal attacks because they
attend institutions that the other team loathes--are we to tolerate this shit
because you have a warped sense of freedom without any limits or
responsibility? Because you find it to be "kinda funny"?

So, when a team finally takes me up on my offer, and in response to a Neitchze
Kritik, slaps the hell out of the 1NC, and steals the ballot, for the win and
double thirties. Is that o.k.?

For what purpose and for what cost?

I am far from being a conservative. But, I realize that the first priorty of
CEDA should be to make sure that entire debate programs are not cut and the
second priority should be that more programs stay in the organization or join
the organization. We can all beat the drums for Freedom of Speech and Anarchy
as an immature reaction  to the closure of Ft. Hays' debate program. We can
give smart ass commentary about wearing suits and ties, and the collapse of
modern civilization. Or, we can take a sober adult approach and realize that
civilty does matter. Recognize decorum does matter. It matters when programs
get cancelled. Not because some coach showed their ass--but because the debates
are so out of control that administrators yank program funding.

I agree that 90 percent of rounds are civil and would make good representations
of the activity. But, you are retarded if you think that one bad
incident does not overwhelm a thousand good incidents. Eric tries to be funny
when he talks about 9-11 and the decline of debate decorum. I take a different
lesson from 9-11. One bad day changed our lives for the next fifty years. Go to
the airport and think about how much our lives have changed because of one bad
day.

One bad day of debate has embarrassed the organization, cost at least one
faculty member his job and resulted in a program no longer existing. What are
we going to do when the next bad day occurs? Are we going to take any measures
to try to prevent another bad day from happenning again?

So, as bad as it seems to our sense of freedom, we may very well have to act
like adults and put limits on what we do and what our students are allowed to
do. It is not a questions of freedom, it is a question of institutional
survival. I do not think anyone is asking for people to put on grey suits and
skinny ties. But, I think we may all have to grow the hell up and realize that
we do not exist in a private ivory tower; what we do is a public activity; what
we do should be a public activity; and that all public communication activities
have limits. Those limits have to exist for both ethical reasons and practical
reasons. The sooner we can all come to that basic conclusion, the sooner we can
get to the real work--drawing the lines between what is and is no longer
permissible in this activity.

Scott