[eDebate] Are we at the crossroads and if so which direction will we travel?

Duane Hyland privethedge
Tue Aug 26 11:09:30 CDT 2008

Hi, One note from history..the community has moved far away from the days when the winners of the NDT (pre-CEDA) were invited to appear on the Today Show after the tournament. That type of positive exposure is what debate needs to show people that the latest controversy was just two people having a bad day, and not what this activtiy is about.
?
I was surprised when College Sports TV stopped covering the NDT (mostly because I liked those shows) - but perhaps that type of positive coverage is what the community needs to reassure people that what we do is valuable and meaningful. Perhaps people smarter than I can brainstorm ways to invite local TV/documentary film makers/etc..to increase coverage of debate so people get to see how special and awesome the activity is...
?
H.

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that person that he, if he had the power, would be in silencing mankind? If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth; if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by??its collision with error." John S. Mill
?Who said Dr. Who isn't Funny: "Rose: You Didn't Have to Kill him! Dalek: "Neither did we need him to live."
Dalek to Cyberman: :"You are Superior to us in one respect." Cyberman: "What is that?" Dalek: "Dying!"