[eDebate] USA-Thailand Friendship Debates

Alfred Snider alfred.snider
Fri Dec 26 02:00:24 CST 2008

The Thai government and the US Embassy in Thailand have announced a
series of events commemorating the 175th anniversary of Thai-USA
relations. The events will take place 27 January-1 February 2009.

There will be events at the US Embassy as well as a debate tournament at
Mahidol University, held in the All Asians format (3 on 3) with three
preliminary debates, semifinals and finals. An open debate workshop for
students will be held during the stay. There will also be a USA-Thai
friendship debate between Thais and Americans that will be a publicized
open event. Other events will be scheduled by the Commissioner of Higher
Education of Thailand and the US Embassy.

The University of Vermont's Lawrence Debate Union has been selected to
represent the USA. All expenses for the USA group will be shared by the
US Embassy and the Thai Chancellor of Higher Education. Major Thai
universities (Chulalongkorn, Mahidol, Assumption and others) will
represent Thailand.

The Vermont contingent will consist of Alfred Snider, Edwin Lawrence
Professor of Forensics and director of the Lawrence Debate Union, along
with three students, Lucas Caress (senior from New York City), Sam
Natale (sophomore from West Palm Beach, Florida) and Allison Hamlin
(sophomore, Essex Junction, Vermont). Sam and Lucas recently finished
third at the elite and extremely difficult World Universities Peace
Invitational Debates in Malaysia and seem to have charmed all of Asia
with their fresh approach to debating and argumentation. The invitation
to the tournament specifically asked for their attendance with Dr.
Snider, along with another student who will represent Vermont at the
upcoming World Universities Debating Championship in Cork, Ireland which
begins on December 27 2008. After an open call Allison Hamlin was selected.

"It is highly gratifying," said Dr. Snider, "to receive this invitation.
We debated in Thailand last year and found it to be a fabulous
experience. I look forward to celebrating 175 years of USA-Thai
friendship. I admire Thailand for its rich culture, intellectual
tradition and the fact that it was never a colony. I want to thank
Professor Piyanart Faktorngpan of Chulalongkorn University for working
so hard on this project, along with the US Embassy and the Thai
Commissioner of Higher Education. It is clearly a sign that the
University of Vermont's debate program, the Lawrence Debate Union,
continues to rise in its global reputation."

"We hope to set a standard for the 21st Century," Snider added, "that
disagreements need to be solved by logical and reasoned discourse, not
by violence. We must learn to trust the force of ideas, not the ideas of
force."

--
Alfred C. Snider aka Tuna
Edwin Lawrence Professor of Forensics