[eDebate] nice start: chicago machine already crippling cagliostro

Nicholas A. Thomas pinkballoon
Sun Dec 14 16:01:07 CST 2008

Actually, Blagojevich was ferreted out by an anti-corruption bill Obama helped to pass.  Blagojevich was rushing to get in donations before Obama's law took effect on January 1st, which is why he was so pushy and, thus, legally caught.

That Emanuel was voice recorded on the tapes is no surprise: he said as much from the beginning (and was even rumored to be a whistle-blower to the FBI).  Regardless, DOJ District Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald said neither Emanuel nor Obama were targets in the investigation.  If anything, it would be a surprise if the President-elect was *not* talking with the Governor about political strategy involving the best Democratic candidate to run in 2010.

Getting death threats (something no one on the right has to deal with... unless they are getting attacked by people even *farther* to the right) is a scary thing; I'd hope you had some sympathy for people facing the violence of a heckler's veto.

I guess I wanna know what you want me or others to take from your posts, Old Strega.
Are you worried about the Constitution?  Survey says no: you are still complaining about Obama after the Supreme Court refused to overturn the will of the people using evidence that was only going to confirm that Obama was a citizen anyway.
Are you really worried about corruption?  Survey says no: I don't seem to recall Enron, Bush's DOJ scandal, concerns about Halliburton or Blackwater ever bothering you this much--which matters at the very least because there was more than enough "guilt by association" in all those cases to satisfy your current thirst for it.
Are you just raining on our parade while some Americans want to retake, rebuild, and reinvigorate their country?  Maybe even by reclaiming any of the moral authority it supposedly had?  Is it a bad thing for us to want something better for our nation?  And to have trusted Obama to get us to something better when most all politicians seemed corrupt or evil?

If Obama succeeds will you blame him just as much as you will rain down on him if he fails and our peoples do not prosper?

I've read about you in history books, Old Strega.  "Sic semper tyrannis," you once yelled.  Another time you had a list "of 205... names made known to the Secretary of State as being members of the Communist Party."  More recently I've heard you say "deficits don't matter," finding WMDs in Iraq was a "slam dunk," and more generally that people who "don't love America should leave it."  You've always been there to save us from the good civil servants who might have done us well, just in case your one-in-a-million conspiracy theory was right that they would not have worked out.

Here's a challenge--I expect it will be *really* tough.  Can you tell me (or us) something *good* we should do for our country that is at once free of blame for others, free of any hint that other human beings are corrupt, but still significant enough that one would not be able to say of such a deed that it was "guilty by association" with such and such weak link so that it clearly represents a threat to or a corruption of America?  Please don't give me a sarcastic answer--I really want to know what you think our best course is right now (aside from killing all the lawyers).

Nicholas A. Thomas, PhD Rhetoric
(formerly a Policy Assistant Coach at CSU, Long Beach)
Department of Communication Arts & Sciences
Pennsylvania State University
nat129 at psu.edu