[eDebate] Neil's Question

Mike Davis davismk13
Wed Dec 17 20:04:31 CST 2008

While I am sure that this issue will be dealt with at much greater
length in the debates that Chief is helping organize, I'll give my
brief response:

1. I have excellent institutional support. When unfavorable articles
comes out or CEDA has to deal with difficult issues I never worry that
my debate team might be in trouble. This allows me the institutional
freedom to response in a way that I think is best for CEDA without
having to worry about the future of my program or my own career.
2. I have dealt with these types of issues before. I do PR for debate
every day. Part of the reason I don't worry about the future of my
program is because I work (along with Pete Bsumek) to make sure that
our university has favorable opinion of debate. Something I have done
well and will continue to do so even if not elected.
3. The reason I have never run for this office before is because I was
never in a position that would have allowed me the freedom to respond
when CEDA would need me. I am in a good place now with a full time
assistant, a work study student, a departmental assistant and plenty
of release time to do debate related work. I'm not nearly as busy even
during my busiest time of the year as most people are and my time is
always more flexible.
4. I've dealt with CEDA related PR for years. I have served as a
regional rep for 9 years and have only missed a single CEDA summer
meeting since 1994. I have served on countless committees and know the
way CEDA works from being on the ground floor every time these
decisions are being made. Some may see this as a negative (because
CEDA bashing is an extremely popular pastime) , but I think
considering the diverse constituency we serve CEDA has done a fairy
good job balancing a diverse set of interests.

I am looking forward to the VP debates that Chief is organizing. I
think the discussion of these issues is critical to the future of our
organization.

Mike

--
Dr. Michael Davis