[eDebate] Possible Topic Area

Calum Matheson u.hrair
Mon Dec 22 22:28:39 CST 2008

This isn't really a reply to Dr. Glass, but just an explanation of why I
suggested the phrase "grand strategy."  I'm certainly open to alternative
suggestions.

"Strategy" can be defined to narrowly--a military strategy, as opposed to a
grand strategy, may be defined as a plan to accomplish a particular military
objective.  Grand strategy can be defined as a broader policy, by the
civilian leadership, fitting the use of force into an overall plan to
achieve American objectives.  I want the aff to be able to do things other
than simply reduce US deployed forces--offshore balancing for example--and
be able to make the requisite changes in force structure, etc.  The phrase
"military strategy" is properly used (according to some narrow definitions)
only to describe land forces (so JFC Fuller was a military strategist, for
example, as opposed to Alfred Thayer Mahan, a naval strategist).

"Doctrine" was also not what I was looking for, although I intend to explore
it as a separate area within the broader topic. It is my understanding that
this describes a set of rules or procedures governing the conduct of the
military.  So Operation Gericht (the WWI German operation around Verdun,
1916) was an "operation," the "strategy" was attrition, but the "grand
strategy" was the overall German plan to dominate continental Europe
(presumably for the purposes of evil, knowing them).  I could certainly be
wrong about this (the terms, not the intent of Germany to do evil).

Is anyone interested in this topic willing to suggest (directly to me, if
you wish) alternate terms?  "Grand strategy" is not meant to be the primary
limiting term, but rather to allow the aff to include broad changes in force
deployment.  The "reduce deployment" part is supposed to be the primary
limit.

Some examples of how "grand strategy" is used:

Christopher Layne uses it to describe a policy of offshore balancing,
including the end of large-scale forward deployment (in "The Peace of
Illusions," for example).

This is Robert Art, in "A Grand Strategy for America:"
"Grand strategy, like foreign policy, deals with the momentous choices that
a nation makes in foreign affairs, but it differs from foreign policy in one
fundamental respect.  To define a nation's foreign policy is to lay out the
full range of goals that a state should seek in the world and then determine
how all the instruments of statecraft?political power, military power,
economic power, ideological power?should be integrated and employed with one
another to achieve those goals.  Grand strategy, too, deals with the full
range of goals that a state should seek, but it concentrates primarily on
how the military instrument should be employed to achieve them.  It
prescribes how a nation should wield its military instrument to realize its
foreign policy goals."