[eDebate] Possible Topic Area

J T jtedebate
Tue Dec 23 11:10:46 CST 2008

Dylan expresses a few valid concerns....

--- On Mon, 12/22/08, Dylan Keenan <dylan.keenan at gmail.com> wrote:
From: Dylan Keenan <dylan.keenan at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [eDebate] Possible Topic Area
To: "Calum Matheson" <u.hrair at gmail.com>
Cc: edebate at www.ndtceda.com
Date: Monday, December 22, 2008, 9:11 PM

I do have a few thoughts/concerns

1)?????
Can we stick the term grand strategy with any
enforceable meaning? That is, what is to stop the aff from say getting US security out of Nigeria
(not sure if we actually have military personel there) or withdrawing from the Arctic, or stopping coast guard good will missions to X
country and nothing else. I get that the term grand strategy is a term of art,
and is designed to deal with this. I also know that terms like "energy policy"
or "constructive engagement" which are designed to make affs do something
significant frequently devolve to the minimum and nothing more. Given the
idiocy the neg gets away with these days something like that is perhaps
necessary but still, it is a concern because small affs ALWAYS reduce the
quality of debate.

I think some of this is inevitable...and idiocy.? But I would like a topic with decent T ground.? The Supreme Court topic proved this can be accomplished without massively unpredictable ground.?

I think different modifiers might limit out these small cases.? Identifying specific areas (middle east for example) has been mentioned as a possibility...but perhaps identifying the end goal would work.? Some of the contextual lit after 9/11 identified anti-terrorism...so defining the agenda for the "grand strategy" might offer some limits
?

3)?????
Global link U questions will come up. Obama is gonna
wind down in Iraq.
I don't want to hear a year of "drawdown now" = no link uniqueness.

True.? The inaugural address could very well define Obama's "Grand Strategy"? This could be in vague terms (like Bush's anti-terrorism rhetoric)...that's a wait-and-see situation.? There would have to be a way to limit out things like Iraq.? Undoubtedly, Obama will mark a change from Bush's grand strategy (oppression).? However, Obama also wants to increase troop deployment to Afghanistan.
?

4)?????
Is the topic a bit too expansive on the mechanisms
besides military power. That Layne def. mentions economic power. Is this
basically sanctions or trade policy as well?

I found several authors that described "grand strategy" in vague terms, including military deployment, values, trade, etc.? One or more of these things could be included as a modifier, i.e. defining the agenda of that strategy.? I am definitely against a trade mechanism, but that might be inherent in the term

A few pluses:

1) Advantage innovation. I think that is a big problem this
year. I doubt it would be when you have the whole military, planet, and economy
to play with

?

2) I bet there are cards about the importance of a public
statement shifting US
strategy for states as well as non-state actors. That might help deal with
negative BS counterplans

?

3) Big impact debates on a lot of different impacts = good for outweighing disads.