[eDebate] "Grand" v. "National Security" / "national security"

David Glass gacggc
Wed Dec 24 02:22:40 CST 2008

The counterplan I'm worried about is the one that PICs out of the
"grand strategy" and just reduces the deployment

It seems like you can just cut deployment without having a "grand strategy"...

Wikipedia says : "Grand strategy is military strategy at the level of
movement and use of an entire nation state or empire's resources.
Military grand strategy includes calculations of economic resources
and man-power.

So if the Aff's grand strategy is to decrease the military budget, for
example, and part of that is decreasing deployments, the PIC
makes the debate just about the budget, and not about the deployment.
I mean that's fine, but perhaps
not the reason to write such a rez (?)

Is there an example of a good aff where the strategy is required for
the cut in deployment?

So far, no alternative broadening language has occurred to me which
isn't subject to the PIC.