[eDebate] Jimbo's Question about convergence

bandana organizer lifer-hat
Sun Dec 28 02:39:27 CST 2008

I just had to respond to this line by line. Andy's email reads like a nine-year-old's blueprint for snow fort, with the attendant excitement and confusion.

But just because the technology is cool does not mean it will create your communication or information plan for you.

Thanks for that clarification.

Currently there is little incentive other than community service, interest, and altruism to do technology development work, and thus we have a lot of people who may or may not care how their ideas and knowledge of technology interacts with CEDA.

All people "may or may not care" about that. "May or may not care" covers all people. Some care, some do not.

Are you trying to say that many people do not care? Do you really plan to make most people care about how their ideas of tech interacts with CEDA? To call that ambitious would be a real understatement.

not into some sort of summit but into an online working group and collaboration teams that breaks off and assesses the areas of interest that they have and how those areas can help CEDA come up with a consolidated communication and information strategy.

"Areas of interest" can't help come up with strategies. Areas of interest, for instance, are inanimate.

"Consolidated communication and information strategy" is just buzzword bingo.

CEDA has the power as an organization to leverage power that allows all of these contributors to have access to tools and services that might not be available for their individual processes, this could include summer volunteer hires, consults with mbas and development people for specific projects, and the ability to harness the power of the collectivity of the community, to develop the information systems we need.

"Power of the collectivity of the community" is more buzzword bingo.
Your list of ideas really just sounds like "community service,
interest, and altruism" (which you rejected above), plus some
"volunteer hires". What is a "volunteer hire"?

Do you really think getting a meeting with an MBA is easy for CEDA but tough for coaches who work at universities?

I would recruit a large information and technology committee comprised of all of the people i mentioned above and others interested.

Did you actually ask those people already? Are you aware that the meaning of this sentence, in standard English, is that they have all already agreed?

The more information we have that is good the harder it becomes to jam us in a way that causes damage, if there inst much out there then you get Shanahan Howard Dean on you tube etc...

Howard Dean is the perfect example of how this is wrong. The media had plenty of positive information about Dean. It didn't dilute the potency of the yell clip.

google chat (gmail.com)you either know about or dont

Yes, that is, by definition, true. You either know about Google Chat or you do not.

These are jjust some of my favorites, some of you may have better ones, and others may disagree that these are good, but thats kinda the point of all this, that disagreement and resources sharing is in fact good, as long it occurs in a forum that informs the membership and the public.

Are you serious? The "point of all this" is to have a disagreement about which websites we use in a way that informs the public?!

That's probably too stupid to be what you meant. I suppose this is simply some more shockingly incoherent writing.