[eDebate] [CEDA-L] RewardPointsGate--CEDA exposed!!

Steinberg, David L dave
Tue Dec 30 16:33:41 CST 2008

David L. Steinberg
Director of Debate, Lecturer in Communication Studies
University of Miami
PO Box 248127
Coral Gables, FL  33124

FLW 3015
305-284-5553
204-385-5216 (fax)
dave at miami.edu
http://debate.miami.edu/
From: ceda-l-bounces at www.ndtceda.com [ceda-l-bounces at www.ndtceda.com] On Behalf Of Darren Elliott [delliott at kckcc.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:58 PM
To: CEDA-L at ndtceda.com; edebate at ndtceda.com
Subject: [CEDA-L] RewardPointsGate--CEDA exposed!!

Associated Press reporting:

Achten and Whalen jet-setting to European Parli Conference on the back of CEDA Rewards Points.  Stop.
Jarman and Massey attending Big 12 Championship Games in Kansas City and living it up at Downtown Marriott.  Not as shocking as OU win! : ) Stop.
Baker, Steinberg, Warner, and Sandoz enjoying golf outing in Tempe with McDonald.  Charging extravagant meals to Holiday Inn Reward Points Club.  Stop.
Patrice movements unknown and protected by National Security as Debate Coach of entire Army!  Stop.

Here is a better one--just Stop!

Andy asks about the rewards points possibility from past CEDA Nationals.  Wonder if he asked the right people?

I only comment because quite often, "questions" posed to edebate/ceda-l are suspicious in their intent.  Anyone who has hosted a CEDA Nationals in the past x number of years (Jarman, Massey, Mahoney, Whalen, Warner, McDonald) or who was CEDA President at the time (Patrice, Steinberg, Baker, Schriver, Sandoz, Whalen) or who was CEDA Treasurer at the time (McDonald, Achten) could take that public posting as an attempt to expose some underhanded activity on their part.  The post even suggested the points were being "quietly used" to pad the room nights of CEDA execs or "going to" the person charging things on their credit card.  Both of these suggest ill-intent on those who would have had the power to do so.  Their names for the last 6 years are above.  But this does not seem to be a productive inquiry.

Andy, did you email any of these folks personally and ask:
1.  Did CEDA ever look into banking reward points for the ideas you listed in your 2nd email?
2.  Did CEDA ever try to formalize a relationship with parent hotel companies to allow the organization to benefit from points?
3.  Did CEDA allow individual programs to earn their own points (something I am sure is happening and completely legitimate for schools paying their own bills).

My point is, edebate and ceda-l as a launching point for these "questions" are more often than not seen as "accusations" towards people who give their time, energy, heart, and soul to this organization.  It gets frustrating that good intentions get slammed, that good people get accused of things that are crazy, and that we dont first assume people are acting in good faith.
If Andy is elected to a leadership position, he will understand too well how these forums serve to frustrate more than accomplish anything positive.

Final 2 points.  First, you alluded to me doing some work in this area but you have no idea where the points are.  I have no idea what work you are referring to.  At one a year or so ago you mentioned rewards points and I echoed that if CEDA were to create a relationship that would be great.  The conversation ended there.  Second point, my guess is many individual programs collect their own points for use during the year OR that CEDA execs simply didnt have the TIME to invest in reward points banking with all of the other demands that come with the job.

Cut folks some slack.  Ask them directly.  Then begin a productive dialogue about what CEDA should do.  Your ideas are valuable ones.  They just get lost in the accusatory tone of "quietly used" rhetoric.

Of course, maybe I am wrong.  Wonder where Achten spent the Holidays!  ; )

chief

Darren Elliott
Director of Debate and Forensics--KCKCC
CEDA President