[eDebate] Harker School tournament offers FREE policy debate division

Carol Green carolg
Fri Feb 1 12:21:00 CST 2008

FREE POLICY TOURNAMENT - February 29 to March 2

Due to popular demand, the Harker School will be hosting a small Policy tournament at our middle school campus, only three short blocks from our TOC-qualifying tournament in Lincoln-Douglas and Public Forum debate. Because of the size of the tournament and the support we have received from parents and administration, we are pleased to offer this tournament at no charge to the debate community. In addition, our parents have extended our free housing offer to policy debate students traveling from outside the state.

The tournament is limited to the first 32 teams that apply with judges. Due to the size of the pool and lack of entry fees, we must ask that all teams supply their committed judges. If you are unable to bring a judge, email the coaching staff at forensics at harker.org and we will put you in contact with local judges available for hire. Each school will initially be limited to four teams though a waitlist will be available in the event there is room for more teams.

All 4-2 teams will clear to elimination rounds. There will be awards for the top five varsity speakers. While there will not be a novice division, the top novice team and top novice speaker will be recognized with awards, so please indicate novice teams when entering the tournament.

Location: All policy rounds will be held at the Harker Middle School campus at 3800 Blackford Avenue, San Jose, CA 95117.

Food: Food will be available for purchase on campus. There will be vegetarian options available.

Housing: Please see the primary invitation for information about the tournament hotel, which is only two blocks from the middle school. Free housing is also available on a first-come, first-serve basis to teams coming in from out of state.

Judges: The judging commitment is one judge for every two teams. If a school is only bringing one team, one judge is still required for the entry. The tournament does not have any judges available for hire but can put you in contact with local judges who are available and teams can make their own arrangements. All judges are committed for one full elimination round past team elimination. This means that all judges are committed through at least the first elimination round on Sunday morning.

REGISTRATION AND FEES: Please complete your on-line registration no later than 6 p.m. (PST), Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at http://www.joyoftournaments.com/ca/Harker.   Phone-in confirmation of each school's entries will be from 9:30 A.M. until 2:00 P.M. on Friday, February 29th, (408) 345-9216. You may e-mail confirmation to forensics at harker.org but confirmation must arrive before 2:00 p.m. Schools must call or e-mail to confirm entries or round 1 participants will be dropped.

IN ORDER TO ENSURE ALL TEAMS A CHANCE TO DEBATE, ANY TEAMS DROPPING AFTER JANUARY 26th WILL BE CHARGED A DROP FEE OF $50. We hope this will encourage teams who are unable to compete to drop out with enough time to allow another team to take your spot.

Public Forum, Lincoln-Douglas, and Student Congress reminder: Just a reminder that these events are quickly filling up, and to get your entries in soon! If you have financial or other concerns regarding these events, please direct questions to forensics at harker.org and we will try to respond as quickly as possible.

POLICY DEBATE SCHEDULE

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 29
5:00 P.M.		ROUND ONE
7:00 P.M.		ROUND TWO

SATURDAY, MARCH 1
8:00 A.M.		ROUND THREE
10:30 A.M.	ROUND FOUR
1:00 P.M.		ROUND FIVE
2:30 P.M.		ROUND SIX
5:30 P.M.		ELIMINATION ONE
8:00 P.M.		AWARDS

SUNDAY, MARCH 2
9:00 A.M.		ELIMINATION TWO
11:00 A.M.	ELIMINATION THREE
1:00 P.M.		ELIMINATION FOUR, IF NEEDED

Carol M. Green
Communication Studies Department Faculty
Forensics Coach
Model United Nations Advisor
Room 63
The Harker School