[eDebate] Free Grad School in Las Vegas!!!

Jacob.Thompson at unlv.edu Jacob.Thompson
Wed Feb 6 16:59:27 CST 2008

IT?S NOT TOO LATE? The Department of Communication Studies at UNLV has a
?rolling? deadline for admission to our M.A. program and assistantship
positions.   Please consider graduate school and coaching at UNLV.  There
are several key selling points associated with our program and school:
1) You can get in on the ground floor of a great new program.  Our squad
has the right attitude, work ethic, and will to win.  Our students are all
good people, appreciative, and wonderful to work with.
The explicit goal of our squad is to become a national powerhouse.  In our
first year of competition alone, UNLV fielded 7 competitive debate teams
and will attend a total of 14 tournaments.  We are a growing program, and
as a coach in this new program, you have the ability to shape the future
of our team.
2) You can get a free M.A. in our top-notch Communication Studies program.
 You can concentrate in Rhetoric, Interpersonal Communication, or Health
Communication. My expertise is in rhetoric, so I'll go into detail about
that portion of the department (although I can provide information on
other aspects of the department at your request).  We have six key faculty
in rhetoric alone.  These faculty members include the current editor of
the Quarterly Journal of Speech, a past editor of the Quarterly Journal of
Speech, the past president of NCA, the president of the Rhetoric Society
of America, as well as several bright up-and-coming faculty members who
are set to be rock stars in the discipline.
3) You'd get to go to school in Vegas, baby....
4)  Your degree is essentially free AND you'd earn a $10,000 per year
stipend.. The money-making opportunities don't end there.  You would also
have the opportunity to:
a) Earn an extra $3000 in the summer semester teaching a brief summer
class
b) Earn a good deal of extra money (amount yet to be decided) working at
our summer HS institute (starting in summer 09)
c) When traveling with us you get the full meal stipend (often up to $50
per day), whatever you don't spend you get to keep.
d) When traveling with us you get to hire out for any rounds not needed to
cover our commitment.
5) UNLV offers our GAs deeply discounted health insurance
6) You would have the opportunity to gain teaching experience as well as
coaching experience.
7) We're a privately funded program, so there is no need to ever worry
about budget cuts or state financial troubles taking our budget.
8) We debate at every major national tournament in America, we travel in
style, we fly most places, we (almost) always stay in the tournament
hotel, etc.
9) Our team has an unprecedented level of institutional support.  The Dean
of our college was a high school debater.  The Chair of the Department of
Communication Studies was a coach at Kansas, Iowa State, and Emporia State
University.  The entire Department of Communication Studies (in which our
program is "housed") is deeply supportive of our program.
10) Great things are on the immediate horizon for debate in Las Vegas.
Aside from the re-birth of the UNLV debate program, local high school
debate is undergoing an unprecedented expansion.  The 2007-8 NFL Nationals
will be held here in Las Vegas with the opening ceremonies held right here
on the UNLV campus.  There are already 2 TOC bid tournaments held in the
Las Vegas Valley.  We're starting a summer high school debate institute in
the summer of 2009.  We have a bid in to host the 2009 NDCA Championships,
and in addition, Las Vegas is an integral part of the Urban Debate
League's national expansion plan.
For further information, please feel free to contact me via email or
phone,
Jake
Dr. Jacob Thompson, Ph.D.
Director, Sanford I. Berman Debate Forum
Assistant Professor In Residence
Greenspun College of Urban Affairs
Department of Communication Studies
University of Nevada, Las Vegas