[eDebate] JV Novice Nationals Interpretation

Joe Patrice joepatrice
Fri Feb 15 10:56:31 CST 2008

I don't think I posted this, but there was a minor CEDA EC interpretive
decision to clean up some imprecise wording a couple of weeks ago that I
believe went by without my announcing it.  The Bylaws state:

"Upon completion of novice eligibility, debaters will be eligible to debate
in junior varsity for two academic years, or until they advance to the final
round of three open, junior varsity or varsity tournaments, or until they
qualify for the National Debate Tournament. An exception will be made for
Junior Varsity national tournaments."

We interpret "An exception will be made for Junior Varsity national
tournaments" as applying to the various move up rules, meaning that a
student can compete and earn points at a JV national tournament provided
they meet "upon completion of novice eligibility, debaters will be eligible
to debate in junior varsity for two academic years" regardless of whether or
not they have met any of the move up provisions.