[eDebate] Job Announcement: Assistant Director of Debate - Kansas State University and Good-bye

Justin Green jmgreen
Mon Feb 18 11:30:51 CST 2008

It is with trepedation that I announce that David Magariel will not be
returning to Kansas State next year.  Commuting 4 and 1/2 hours to
work just got a little old.  His one liners putting errant debaters
into place and strategic contributions will both sorely be missed.
The Kansas State Debate team would like to publicly thank the Jayhawk
ambassador for all of his hard work and willingness to embrace
Manhattan and our team.  We wish him the best of luck..... some
program ought to get this guy working for them, preferably one that
does not frequently debate Kansas State.

Below follows a job announcement.  We will begin screening applicants
March 1st.  Even if you do not have materials in, if you are
interested in the job, please email jmgreen at ksu.edu.  We will make
sure you are considered for the pool of applicants.

Assistant Director of Debate/Instructor

Kansas State University is offering an instructor/ADOD position in the
Speech Communication Division for the 2008-9 school year, with the
possibility of renewal.
Duties will include teaching a variety of undergraduate service
courses to primarily juniors and seniors: small group communication,
business and professional speaking, and/or interpersonal communication
as well as serving as an assistant debate coach for the debate team.
This will entail traveling with the team, judging, listening to
practice speeches/debates, leading research efforts, and assisting in
the administration of the program. The individual must be willing to
work with all experience levels (Novice, JV, Open) and non-traditional
students.

Candidates must have their M.A. or J.D. completed before the fall 2008
semester begins. Collegiate teaching and coaching experience is
preferred. The salary is competitive. An MA in Communications is
preferred, but not required.

Candidates must submit two letters of recommendation, a vita/resume
and a letter of application to the committee chair, Charlie Griffin,
SCTD, Nichols 129, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506.
Screening of applicants will begin March 1st, and will continue until
position is filled.

Kansas State University is an equal opportunity employer. KSU actively
seeks diversity among its employees.

BEYOND THE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT
The debate team receives substantial support directly from the
President.  We have a roster of 20 debaters to start next year across
all three divisions and lose only one senior among our top 3 Varsity
teams.  We are a diverse squad in appearance, background, argument
choices, and speaking styles.  We like our coaching staff to reflect
this.  If you like coach a certain set of arguments, we have debaters
for you.  We are a squad who seeks both to win and have fun debating.
If you are not interested in either of the two, please don't
apply.Success as a debater is a plus, but a demonstrated commitment to
effective coaching is far more desirable.

For those of you who don't know, Manhattan, KS is a phenomenal place
to live.  Housing is cheap.  Aggieville with many eating and drinking
establishments offers entertainment across the street from the school.
 It is very possible to walk to the school, entertainment, and home.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have further questions.

Justin Green on behalf of the Kansas State Debate Squad