[eDebate] [CEDA-L] Matt Grindy

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Wed Feb 13 13:03:33 CST 2008

I wasn't sure if I was going to tell this story, but Steve's email from
Bellingham made me decide to.  Hopefully, it will give people a smile on a
sad day.

Several years ago, Matt talked to me about perhaps doing a Ph.D. in his
undergraduate major, Political Science.  When he told me he'd done his
undergraduate work at Western Washington, I kind of surprised him by telling
him I knew Professors W, X, Y, and Z from being in graduate school together.
  He responded by telling me how much he enjoyed Professors W, Y, and Z.  I
told him that I'd been closest to Professor X, who had also been a housemate
for 3 years (she was also the toughest of the bunch).  He hesitated for just
a second and then said, "Please don't ask Professor X about me.  I did the
worst in her class."  (a level of honesty that few potential graduate
students would practice).

Of course, Matt didn't go into political science, and I never talked to any
of them about him.  This past summer, I was in Seattle, and Professor X came
down for lunch and a short hike.  I told her the story.  She said, "He would
have been a great political scientist.  I only would have had positive
things to say about him."

--Neil Berch
West Virginia University