[eDebate] Western Novice & JV Champs @ Sac State

Tudor, Kristen H sac36967
Tue Jan 22 12:23:06 CST 2008

Sacramento State will  once again be hosting the Western Novice & JV Champs this March 7-9. I hope you'll consider adding this tournament to your spring schedule.  The entire invite is pasted below and can also be accessed on debateresults.  Please let me know if you have any questions about the tournament.

Kristen Tudor

January 22, 2008

 Dear Colleagues:

On behalf of the Sacramento State University debate team and the Department of Communication Studies, I?m excited to invite you to participate in the Western Novice & JV National Policy Debate Championship Tournament to be held at Sac State March 7-9, 2008.  We will have six preliminary rounds of National Championship team policy debate in both novice & junior-varsity divisions with appropriate elimination rounds.

We?ve secured a rate of $89.00 a night for rooms with two queen beds or one king bed at the Cal Expo Courtyard Marriot. The block of rooms will be held until February 22, 2008.  To reserve your rooms, call 800.973.1386 and reference the block for CSUS debate team.  If you have trouble, ask for Katherine in sales.  As in the past, you can count on good coffee and breakfast each morning at the tournament, and we will provide lunch on Saturday.

I hope you?ll consider adding this tournament to your spring travel schedule ? we look forward to hosting you.  If you have questions feel free to email me at khamilton at csus.edu.

Kristen Hamilton Tudor
Director of Debate
Sacramento State University

(916) 278-5489 (office)
(916) 278-7216 (fax)

 Tournament Information

Transportation:  The Sacramento Airport is about a 20 minute drive from campus and the tournament hotel.  There are plenty of rental car companies in the airport.   To get to campus or the hotel from the airport, take I-5 south, then merge onto highway 50 east towards South Lake Tahoe.  From there, follow directions below to either the hotel or campus.

The Hotel:  The Cal Expo Courtyard is located just east of campus off business 80.  The address is1782 Tribute Road, Sacramento, 95815.  The local phone number is 916.929.7900.  To get there from business 80 east, exit Cal Expo and go left back over the freeway onto Exposition Blvd.  Go left onto Tribute Road to the hotel.

Campus:  Sac State?s address is 6000 J Street, 95819.  From the hotel, get back onto Exposition Blvd, continue forward to Howe Avenue and go right.  At Fair Oaks, go right.  Turn left onto campus after going over the river.  Once on campus, take your first left (at bus drop off) and head to parking lot 2, which is across from the former bookstore and Mendocino Hall, which will once again be our headquarters.  I?ll arrange for someone to be there handing out parking passes, which will be needed on Friday but not during the weekend.

Entry Info:  enter at debateresults.com

Tournament Procedures:  We will use the 2007-2008 CEDA/NDT topic with 9-3-6 speaking times.  We will adhere to CEDA guidelines for novice and JV eligibility.  Divisions will not be collapsed because this is a championship tournament.  There will be no breaking of brackets in elimination rounds.  We will, if necessary, have partial-elimination rounds in order to break all teams with a winning record.

Fees:  The fee for each team is $85.00.  Each school is expected to provide one judge for every two teams entered.  The uncovered team fee will be $120.00.  Please bring extra judges ? I?m sure we?ll need them and will pay $25 per round.  Fees include breakfast on Saturday and Sunday, and lunch on Saturday.

 Tournament Schedule

Friday, March 7th
2:00-3:00:  Registration on campus ? Mendocino Hall

3:30:  Pairings for rounds 1, 2 released ? Mendocino Hall

4:00:  Round 1

6:30:  Round 2

Saturday, March 8th
8:00am: Pairings released at the Hilton and at Mendocino Hall on campus.  Breakfast served on campus.

9:00:  Round 3

11:30:  Round 4

1:30:  Lunch on campus (provided)

3:00:  Round 5

6:00:  Round 6

9:30:  Elimination teams and judges posted on edebate and at the Courtyard.

Sunday, March 9th
8:00:  Pairings for elimination rounds released on campus and at the Hilton.  Breakfast served on campus.

9:00:  Elimination round 1

11:00:  Awards Ceremony:  Mendocino Hall

12:00:  Subsequent elimination rounds as needed.