[eDebate] Isn't that just precious!!

Wed Jan 23 15:56:17 CST 2008

And right before Nationals. Condi Rice sure is insensitive to the needs of
college debaters.

DAVOS, Switzerland (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said on
Wednesday she believed the nuclear stand-off with Iran could be resolved
diplomatically but that Tehran must not be allowed to become a nuclear weapons
power.

Just one day after getting agreement on a draft U.N. Security Council resolution
against Tehran, Rice offered the incentive of a "more normal relationship" and
expanded trade if Iran gave up sensitive nuclear work, according to the
prepared text of her speech to the World Economic Forum in Switzerland.

"Ultimately, though, we believe that we can resolve this problem through
diplomacy," Rice said according to the text, which was distributed by
conference organizers.

"If Iran would suspend its uranium enrichment and reprocessing activities -
which is an international demand, not just an American one - then we could
begin negotiations, and we could work over time to build a new, more normal
relationship," she said.

Rice said this new relationship could be defined not by fear and mistrust but
growing cooperation, expanding trade and exchange, and the peaceful resolution
of differences.

In a conciliatory note after weeks of anti-Iranian rhetoric by the Bush
administration, Rice said the United States had no desire for Iran to be a
"permanent enemy".

"Iranians are a proud people with a great culture, and we respect the
contributions they have made to world civilization," she said.

But she said Washington had real differences with Iran's government, from its
pursuit of a nuclear weapon to support for terrorism and what the United States
sees as Tehran's destabilizing policies in Iraq.

Rice said that agreement reached between foreign ministers of major powers in
Berlin on Tuesday for a third sanctions resolution showed that the world
remained united over not wanting Iran to become a nuclear weapons power.

"We will continue to hold Iran to its international obligations," said Rice.