[eDebate] Exciting News

Scott Deatherage lsd041
Thu Jan 31 01:37:48 CST 2008

Greetings from the Hardy House, home of the Northwestern Debate
Society.  Duck here.  I hope this note finds everyone in the edebate
community well.  We have just completed hosting the Owen L. Coon
"Junior" Memorial and are anxiously preparing for our upcoming trip
to Austin.  I look forward to visiting with many of you in person at
that venue.

It is with great excitement and, admittedly some trepidation, that I
write to publicly to announce that I have accepted the position of
Executive Director of the National Association for Urban Debate
Leagues, the NAUDL.  I assume full time responsibilities in the
Spring.  NAUDL has as its mission expanding debate opportunities for
high school students in urban areas across the country.  Our goal is
to create the infrastructure and support required to make the debate
experience that has been so valuable to so many of us available to
the many students nationwide who presently have no local access to
competitive debate.

The NAUDL is currently affiliated with projects in 20 cities across
the United States, including start-up programs in 8 cities where
there was no debate whatsoever just one year ago.  The Board of
Directors -- Chaired by former NDT Champion and "Debater of the
Decade" Lenny Gail -- plans a continued expansion strategy that aims
ultimately to reach 50 major urban centers nationwide.  In the short
run, we will bring debate to thousands of students; over the long
term, the number could multiply many times over.

While I eagerly await this exciting new opportunity, the very
difficult reality for me is that it will require me to give up my
long time and cherished position as Director of the Northwestern
University Debate Society.  Suffice it to say, this has been the most
difficult decision of my professional life, and in some ways my
personal life.  I came to Northwestern in the fall in 1986 and was
appointed Director in the fall of 1990.  That's 18 years in the
Director's chair, 22 years in total.  That's half my life, and nearly
all of my adult life.  The now thousands of hard working and
dedicated students with whom I have had the opportunity to work over
that period are precisely what made this decision so tough.  And my
many good friends in policy debate community also made the choice a
difficult one for me.  I'll still see and visit with all of you,
albeit perhaps not as frequently as at present.  I owe much to
Northwestern debate, to policy debate, and to the NDT Community.

Tomorrow, I will post a job announcement on behalf of the Dean of the
School of Communication at Northwestern.  The seek to full my
position starting in the summer or fall, immediately following my
departure from the job.  Without a doubt, this decision demonstrates
the strength of the University's commitment to the debate program.  I
informed Dean O'Keefe of my decision one week ago today.  Her
decision to seek immediate authorization to search for a new director
is literally breakneck speed for any University.  We are committed to
a strong and vigorous debate program here, and Dean O'Keefe's
response speaks loudly to that commitment.

Northwestern intends to continue in a leadership position in the
NDT/CEDA debate community.  All manners of operation continue as they
have for years and as they will once a new director assumes the
helm.  We will be at the Texas tournament in full force (6 teams),
plan on taking 5 teams to the Freshman/Sophomore Nationals at MSU,
and hope as always to qualify our strongest and most experienced
teams to the NDT.  We are in the process of negotiating a contract
for next year's Owen L. Coon Memorial Tournament and look forward to
inviting the entire community back to our campus.  Our summer program
for high school students, The Championship Group, (aka Zarefsky
Scholars) continues as planned, and I will continue to play a direct
role in it.  With respect to the summer, I will play a lead role in
staff and student recruitment, topic and curriculum development, and
day-to-day teaching.  In all respects, we intend to sustain a full
service program for the foreseeable future and beyond.

This has been the most terrific experience of my life.  I will miss
it very much.  But the time has come for me to move on.  The
opportunity before me is itself sorta the second opportunity of a
lifetime.  Few have been as fortunate as I have been in my adult life
job opportunities.  My work now is to do all that I can to make NAUDL
as successful as we made Northwestern debate.  If we do that at
NAUDL, we'll make a difference for many.

I'll see you in Austin.  Best. SD