[eDebate] Gotham Debates - The Tech Updates

V I Keenan vikeenan
Thu Jan 31 13:57:25 CST 2008

Three items of interest: Twitter,  internet access, Strikes

A. Twitter - As we mentioned before, we're experimenting with this within
the community for announcements.  I'm not sure how useful this will be
within the building at Baruch (some corners have better reception than
others), but I see this being very useful if you are leaving the "campus"
for any reason, or if you smoke around the time of pairings release, or if
we're missing a judge.

Here are the directions if you haven't signed up before:
1. Send a text message to 40404 (it doesn't matter what's in the text
message)
2. You will then receive a text from twitter (40404) asking you to send your
name to confirm you want a twitter mobile account (this may take a minute);
3. Send a message to 40404 that contains "follow gothamdb8" (as written
exactly here with a space between follow and gothamdb8, without the quotes)
4. You should receive a confirmation text from twitter saying that you'll
receive gothamdb8 updates.
5. You can stop the updates being sent to you at anytime by sending "off
gothamdb8"

You can learn more about Twitter and sign up to send and receive via AIM and
other computer channels at twitter.com

I'll send messages through the results of finals.  We did a "test" - so it's
ready to go.

B. The Internets - Baruch does not allow guest accounts; however my Baruch
students are generous hosts.  At registration you will be given the name of
a Baruch student to check in with if you need to get a laptop online at the
tournament.  In our calculations, we are assuming that the Worlds teams will
primarily only need internet access for their directors/judges who may also
be doing work.  When in doubt, you can always ask me.  For those of you
familiar with Patrick, Dima, and Ashlee, they will be assisting you in this
matter.(ie: Army folks - see Ashlee, Bing - see Dima, Bard - see Patrick,
etc.)

C.  Strikes - We should be able to offer 8 strikes at a minimum in each
division this weekend.  You will receive strike sheets at registration when
you come in.  Please return them by the start of Round 2.  They will be in
place for Round 3.

We are working on the remaining judge philosophies, but if you have
questions in the meantime, feel free to ask me.

We're looking forward to seeing you on Saturday (or your car on Friday).

-VIK

--
Vik Keenan
Director - Baruch Debate, CUNY