[eDebate] UPDATE! Las Vegas Round Robin Application

Jacob.Thompson at unlv.edu Jacob.Thompson
Wed Jul 2 14:44:15 CDT 2008

The Application "form" for the Las Vegas Classic Round Robin Tournament is
now active on debateresults.  We are still in the process of
refining/programming/testing the mathematical formula for selecting the
best applicants, BUT that should NOT stop you from applying now!!!

The more early interest and applicants that we have, the better the
competition will be at our round robin, so please apply as soon as you
can.

Applying for our round robin for the tournament is simple:

1) go to www.debateresults.com, log in, and select the "Vegas RR" link at
the bottom of the "Tournament Participants" box
2) On the round robin application page, select the "Apply to the Vegas RR"
link
3) Enter your team according to the directions at the top of the page.
Please note that you may apply a team that already has debated together by
selecting them from the droppdown menu in the first row, or you may apply
a team that has not debated together in the past by selecting the
individual debaters names from the dropdown menu in the second row (if you
choose the latter option, please do not forget to click the "create
record" button).
4) Once you have added your team to the application page, simply click the
"create application" button and you are done.

The competitive records for all applicants (from the previous season) is
available to view by clicking the "View Bid Applications" button on the
main application page.

In case you missed it before--here is additional information on the Las
Vegas Classic Round Robin Tournament and our rationale for using an
application procedure:

1.  There is NO entry fee for the round robin tournament as long as the
team applying stays to compete at our invitational tournament.
2.  We will accept the top 8 point-earning teams to our round robin
tournament.
3.  Registration for the round robin will occur on Tuesday September 30,
from 7-9 pm in the tournament hotel (The Hyatt Place--for more information
see the official tournament invitation).
4. There will be 7 rounds of round robin competition, four rounds will
take place on Wednesday Oct.1 and three rounds will take place on Thursday
Oct 2.  We will have a run-off debate after round 7 in the event of a tie.
5. All rounds for the round robin will take place in the tournament hotel
6. We will provide hearty continental breakfasts and catered lunches for
round robin teams on Wednesday and Thursday

Round Robin Application Procedure: We are hosting an open and transparent
application-based round robin tournament.  The decision-making process
that determines which teams are admitted to this tournament will be
impartial and based on a mathematic formula.

Round robin debate tournaments are a unique and proven forum for high
quality debate competition.  Existing invitational round robin debate
tournaments are, without a doubt, some of the most prestigious tournaments
in America.  Unfortunately, invitational round robin tournaments sometimes
leave out deserving or qualified teams, and they sometimes include teams
that do not deserve the invitation.  We believe that a round robin debate
tournament with a transparent application process and an impartial
admission process will make for better and more credible NDT first and
second round applications.

Our goal is to have the best debate teams in America apply for our round
robin tournament and be admitted based on their merit.  To achieve that
goal we already have sought input from many members of the debate
community to refine the application process.  Given that this is the first
year of our round robin tournament, we believe that the application
criteria could become more refined and precise in the future.  That being
said, we also believe that we the initial application process that we are
developing is very good and will help us to select/invite the best
possible teams that apply.

The application process for the 2008 Las Vegas Round Robin Debate
Tournament is available online at debateresults.com NOW, thanks to Dr. Jon
Bruschke.  Debateresults is now set up to accept applications, and to
allow anyone to view those applications.  We will not be able to post the
mathematical formula that will decide who is invited until the end of
July.  This small delay will allow Jon to write the programming for the
decision criteria and will allow us to run simulations to ensure that it
is as accurate as possible.  Remember, the deadline to apply for admission
to the round robin tournament is August 24, 2008.  We will notify the
community of those teams admitted to the tournament by August 27, 2008.

Briefly, the application process will operate in the following way:
1.      Debaters apply and earn points based on their performance and
rankings last year
2.      The formula is set up to accept any of the following: a team of
two debaters who debated together last year, a team of two debaters who
were on the same squad but debated with different partners last year, or a
team that includes one or two freshpersons.
3.      Any ties for the eighth place application will be broken using
Bruschke?s RPI system.

Dr. Jacob Thompson, Ph.D.
Director, Sanford I. Berman Debate Forum
Assistant Professor In Residence
Greenspun College of Urban Affairs
Department of Communication Studies
University of Nevada, Las Vegas