[eDebate] racism update

matt stannard stannardmatt
Wed Jul 9 11:36:36 CDT 2008

The attack on Towson (and Kansas, and the debate community, and debate judges) by the racist Stix has been re-posted at another racist website, libertyforum.com.  The article is followed by a comment from a poster who answers by saying that "academia has been hijacked by Marxist Jews and it being used to push their agenda of destroying Western civilization through feminism, homosexuality, and racial lies."

This demonstrates a certain unity and global racism among people who think this way.  Anti-semitism and anti-black racism have often been presented as polar/ideological opposites, but obviously they are part of the same overall spectrum.

This presents an opportunity for those who find one of those two forms of racism to be more acceptable than the other to re-think their positions.  I know too many otherwise moderate people, including many in the debate community, who laugh off one or the other.  We need to remember that these are people who, if they could get away with it (and they often do) would do serious violence to people who are different from them.

mjs