[eDebate] Thought Experiment to Working Group - Anyone want to help me look at possible solutions?

Sue Peterson bk2nocal
Tue Jul 22 11:06:41 CDT 2008

I think Veronica's final "dystopian" idea is the default for MOST schools as
is.  There are the top 20-25 or so programs in the nation that make the
national run of tournaments every year, but the rest of us try to get their
better teams to a "national" tournament or two each year and then deal with
the region for the rest of it.  I agree that if you have a very good team,
this becomes a negative experience in certain areas because those regional
tournaments do not have a meaningful caliber of competition for those teams
because the other teams that good in the region may have the resources to
get out to the national tournaments on a regular schedule.

I thank Greg Achten and Gordon Stables and Jon Bruschke for making sure that
California continues to have "national" level competition within driving
distance.  And although some of you may be disappointed with the schedule
change for the swing tournaments, if Jon and Gordon would have decided to
just give these tournaments away to some other district in the hopes of
regaining their holidays with family and friends instead, it is mid-level
programs in California who would have suffered.  So, I am thankful they took
the time and effort to find a way to make it work with their schedules but
keep the tournaments in California.  The Berkeley tournament brings teams in
that we would never otherwise see not traveling nationally, and again, we
don't have to fly.  But, not every region has tournaments of these caliber
and they HAVE to fly to get to even a few national tournaments each year.

So, what is the answer?  Well, one of them might be to begin to think on a
larger scale than we currently do for tournaments.  I know that Gordon
brought this up at the summer meeting and I've been mulling it over in my
head for a while as well.  Maybe we need to stop thinking of just our own
teams and start thinking on a more regional scale for travel.  If our
regions were to get together and start booking "group travel" would we save
any money?  I know that sometimes the busses between So Cal and Nor Cal
would be cheaper than individual vans would have been (and the sleep instead
of driving was GLORIOUS!).  I know there are organizations like Student
Travel Agency (STA) who does mainly international student travel, but may be
helpful domestically?  There is also Groople (perhaps not the only one -
just the one I'm familiar with) where you can get special group discounts
for over 10 people traveling.  I definitely don't know at this point, but if
we could book group travel on airlines by combining squads - rent busses at
tournaments instead of individual mini/12 pass vans, etc. would it save us
money?

I think this is one thing that the CEDA organization is dedicated to
figuring out for our national tournaments in the future, but it is something
that I think many of us could start talking about in our own regions
(regional reps - here is a possible topic of discussion) and tournament
directors might think about checking into for their tournaments (maybe
providing some local bus company names for those wanting to check on bus
options), etc.

I am willing to take the lead on this particular issue as a "working group"
in CEDA if there are others who would be willing to help me out, perhaps we
can put together a "white paper" or something with ideas and choices
available to squads.

Anyone else out there willing to get involved?  My thoughts are to
brainstorm different options - maybe check what sports teams, etc. at our
Universities are doing to deal with this, explore the internet options like
Groople, etc. and then assign out a person to each type of travel to do cost
estimations - so at what point does it become cheaper to travel by air
versus car/bus (considering luggage costs, etc.)?  How many people do you
need to get different group discounts?  I think this would be valuable
information for everyone in debate and even more valuable to those who might
be making an entrance into debate as a new program in these tough travel
cost times.

--
Sue Peterson, Director of Speech and Debate at CSU Chico
sepeterson at csuchico.edu
530-898-4771

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it,
requires brains." -- Mary Pettibone Poole, 1938