[eDebate] Baylor Tournament January 24-26, 2009

Matt Gerber matt_gerber27
Tue Jul 29 12:09:17 CDT 2008

Hey folks, we hope you choose to save on travel costs and support the Baylor tournament....see you in January on our traditional weekend!

Dear Colleagues:

The debaters and coaches at Baylor University cordially invite you to attend the Glenn R. Capp Debates, to be held in the heart of Texas on the banks of the beautiful Brazos and just minutes from the Western White House, from Saturday, January 24th-Monday, January 26th, 2009.  The 2009  Capp Debates will 7 preliminary rounds clearing to an appropriate number of elimination rounds using the cross-examination format (9-3-6) in two divisions, Open Debate and Junior Varsity Debate. If there is sufficient interest we will host a novice division.  Any team is eligible for the Open Division.  Novice and JV contestants must meet the CEDA eligibility rules. We will debate the 2008-2009 CEDA/NDT Agricultural subsidies topic.

Hospitality: We aim to be hospitable, as always.  The tournament hotel provides an excellent continental breakfast.  We will provide lunch on Saturday and Sunday. We will provide an Asian food buffet for dinner on Sunday, and we will continue the Sunday evening awards ceremony as we have done in the past.

Judging:  Each school is expected to provide one judge (4 rounds of commitment) per entered debate team. All judges are required to stay for the octafinal round and/or one round beyond the time their last team is eliminated.  If you cannot judge or have a special request, notify us in advance and we will attempt to cover your commitment at a rate of $100.00 per team. The tournament will employ the standard ?mutal preference judging? (MPJ), and the tab room will likely again be run by Dr. Rich Edwards of Baylor University.

Hotel:  We expect that the tournament hotel will be the newly renovated Clarion right across from the campus, we will let everyone know as soon as we get a block rate and cutoff dates.

Elimination Rounds: Will be held at the beautiful Baylor Student Union building. We feel that debating in these very nice rooms at the Union will add to your tournament experience, and avoid the discomfort and limited space of the hotel. Anyone who has attended the tournament the last couple of years will attest to how cool these elim rooms are.

Transportation:  Waco is easily reached from I-35, or by flying into Dallas or Austin.  The Dallas Fort Worth Airport, Dallas Love Field, and the Austin Bergrstrom Airport are each about a one and one half hour drive from Waco. Each of those airports is served by all of the major rental car companies.  You may also fly directly into Waco on American Eagle. If you do continue to Waco, you should secure a rental van well in advance. If you are flying into Waco and staying at the Clarion, they have a shuttle that can pick you up from the airport and have asked that you simply call a day or two before you arrive.

Awards:  We will break to an appropriate number of elims.  We will recognize those qualifying for elimination rounds and top speakers in each division.  All Elimination rounds will be held on Monday at the Baylor Student Union building. Our awards are very, very nice.

Debater of the Year:  Once again, the Capp Forum will recognize an outstanding person on the national or district debate circuit as Debater of the Year.  Last year?s recipient was Matt Coleman of Wichita State University.

Fees:  Entry fees are $90.00 per debate team.  This will partially defray tournament expenses.  Please make checks payable to the Glenn R. Capp Debate Forum.

Pairing Assumptions:  Pending entries and Rich Edward?s input, rounds 1-4 will be preset.  After that, even rounds will be paired high-low within brackets and odd rounds will be paired high-high.  For elimination rounds we will not break brackets.  We will also not use any form of side equalization.

Registration:  Will occur at the tournament hotel on Friday January 23rd, 2009 from 6:00-9:00 p.m.

Sincerely,

Dr. Matt Gerber- Director of Debate & Asst. Professor
Dr. Scott Varda- Assistant Director of Debate & Asst. Professor
Nick Denissen- Graduate Assistant Coach
Amy Foster- Baylor Law School, Assistant Coach
Dustin Greenwalt- Graduate Assistant Coach
Reynolds Patterson- Graduate Assistant Coach
Ryan Smith- Graduate Assistant Coach
Zack Wagner- Graduate Assistant Coach
Mike Weitz- Graduate Assistant Coach
The Glenn R. Capp Debate Forum