[eDebate] I Vdare the Community to truly stand up

nicholas brady nicholas.brady89
Thu Jul 31 14:59:52 CDT 2008

May i first begin this by saying to Mr. Stennard, I am truly sorry for what
happened to you. I wish this internet jackasses would stop using the n-word
to brand ppl when i know damn well that they would never say that your face.
I have experienced this same thing many a times, but seeing that made me
think of all the times i've been called a nigger on the internet. I've been
called that word on the internet more times than i have fingers and toes,
but the sad part of all this is not the fact that i was called a nigger -- i
mean i'm black, its a sad reality that this is is how a good portion of this
nation sees me and i've gotten to the point where it doesn't hurt me much --
but rather that the site that i have been called nigger the most was on
cross-x.com. Now I understand that the website is full of immature, debating
losers, but honestly i want to use that as a jumping off point. Even though
I'm sure the community is mad to have a "white supremacist" critiquing it,
but honestly is the article very much different from what you say every
single round that you hit a critical team? Sure some teams attempt to
"out-left" or counter-critique their way through performance arguments, but
the grand majority of this community could quite frankly use that article as
a piece of evidence in one of their "louisville" blocks. When i was running
project arguments every round i heard the same things while they were
prepping: "get out the louisville file" even though my argument was
drastically different from the louisville case and they would go through the
same "stick to the topic" "fairness over education" "limits is the best
standard" "predictability key to good ground" "bpo is best framework" kind
of arguments that are very common in these kind of rounds. I do believe that
once we get past this white supremacist writing style, his ad hominem
attacks on these black debaters, and the like we can find the exact same
type of arguments as his foundation. I think the reason why the debate
community feels repulsed by this article and is attempting to sweep it under
the rug is because you have read this article, have literally seen ur
arguments in this article like a mirror, and feel repulsed more at yourself
than anything else. It is a common reaction when you are having a type of
metaphysical correspondence with your own inner "racism" and instead of
actually dealing with yourself, you attempt to destroy that which is making
you have such an awakening. If a person looks in the mirror everyday and is
repulsed by their image they would much rather throw out the mirror than
work on themselves. When i read this article i shrugged my shoulders because
honestly I'm used to hearing his argumentation -- its nothing more than what
you have given to all performance teams.

Now let me take a bit of a radical stance and this is when i am sure ppl
will begin to hate what i am saying. This Vdare article -- to a limited
degree -- hit a nail on the head. Now don't get me wrong, he pulled out a
sludgehammer to hit a small nail and destroyed much of the land around him
-- but still he did hit a nail. The nail I think is that these project affs
are a form of ethnic whining -- and I say this as a person who has run them
and honestly believed in them. I will first highlight this point: PROJECT
ARGUMENTS WERE AN EFFECTIVE, MEANINGUL, AND ULTIMATELY SUCESSFUL TOOL. So
please no backlash from project runners who think i'm some conservative
debater speaking -- i truly believe that like the Black Power movement and
Civil Rights movement, project critiques played an important part in
progressing this community. But what startled me recently was that while I
was judging at the Baltimore Urban Debate League -- a 99 percent
Black/Latino debate league -- people were running project affirmatives
accusing other black ppl of being white supremacist? That made me freeze. I
understand the line of argumentation -- Black ppl can be white supremacist
too. But literally the negative never ran topicality, never ran framework,
never ran a defense of fiat -- they ran Empire. But the affirmative in the
2ac got up and read these blocks saying "topicality is bad", "fiat is white
supremacist", etc. Project critiques have gotten to the point in this
community where they are just as generically bad and unspecific as a
politics da and normativity - wtf? Thats because we have gotten to the point
where project critiques are "non-unique" -- they are horrifically generic
attacks on a community that is not all-together exclusive. Project critiques
were supposed to open a space for minority and poor debaters and guess what?
It has. Good job, pat on the back, round of applause for everyone!

So what now?

Well, I will leave that up to the debaters and coaches to decide. All I will
say is that i "Vdare" you all to stand up for progress within the debate
community. People who are devoted to the project of racial, class, and
gender equality within this activity need to realize that the time for
whining about racial dominance of white debaters and demanding ballots for
some cause that is so splintered and unspecific that it is utterly idiotic
to say this is a "movement" has come to an end. At the same time it is time
for this larger community to understand that this: yes, this community is
going to change a WHOLE lot and we need to stop making the same damn canned
answers about predictability this and fiat that. This vdare article only
shows what these canned, framework answers always were: a kneejerk reaction
to a revolution of diversity happening in this stale, white, middle-class,
male community. As lil wayne would say: "this is history in the making, now
shut the fuck up and let me make it". This community is changing for the
better and we all need to stand up from our stagnant feuds of style -- old
guard versus new guard, black versus white, critical versus policy -- and
keep on moving for the sake of progress.

-Nick
Leader of a Crunk Revolution