[eDebate] racism update

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Wed Jul 9 21:06:57 CDT 2008

Thank you to Matt for keeping the watch.

To the rest of you:
It is interesting that the discussion amongst the policy community and on
cross-x.com  almost ignored  this  attack as if nicholas stix was such a
creatin that a response would be below us. And perhaps it is, and thats the
problem. I wonder what would you say to nicholas stix if he was sitting
across a bar table or a starbucks or if he sat down next to you on a long
flight...Is it worth it to try to convince him he is wrong? Is it worth it
to furitivly post a counter blog? How do you deal with the Schiros/Stix of
the world? How much of what he says do you find yourself agreeing with, even
if you dont like the way he says it, and wish he wherent so racist? Where do
you specifically disagree? Is his understanding of debate so undeveloped?
Strip out the racism and how much does it sound like your framework
blocks?How much is he verbalizing what you have either thought or have "been
sure that other people are saying"?

Perhaps the relative silence of the policy debate community compared to the
parli community comes from a variety of reasons, but ill suggest two. 1) We
have had fantastic opportunities to discuss the theory of social justice and
difference and diversity and multiculturalism, but in practice this segment
of the academy has largely seen itself sheltered from the diversity battles
that have gone in the rest of the academy. Since there are very few black
women with the requisite experience to direct a policy debate team there are
not really black women in the candidate pool for college debate jobs. The
requisite experience component keeps white men in the position of power
because they are the dominant demographic amongst competitors and directors.
White men can look at the coaching pool and be like hmm i am pretty sure if
i stick with this i have a good chance of getting a job. That chance becomes
less and less once you think of other identities. Thus our desire for
expertise have insulated us from hiring decisions that are often  parts o
university  policy and mechanisms to ensure the diversity of the
professorship.Debate avoids this because it requires expertise that does not
draw from as diverse a pool as most other university jobs draw from. This by
the way has direct effects on the demographics of participants as well as
coaches. 2) There is something painful about seeing white supremacists
inhabit the argumentative space on which those of you who defend traditional
debate practices have staked the future of the game. The fairness of the
topic line drawn in the sand is stixs main argument and for many people its
their main argument too...and it kinda stings when the best press your side
of that debate has is a crazy white supremacist.

My response would be do you know what an impact turn is mr stix(of course
you do im sure schiros has told you all about them)? And My Second question
would be tell me what you know about mau mau and we will go from there...