[eDebate] vote for rez 2 a,b, or c

Morris, Eric R EricMorris
Thu Jul 10 15:19:36 CDT 2008

I agree with Jake's conclusion but not all of his reasons. I worry that
I will persuade him back to 1abc by explaining why I agree with him...

I think affirmatives can access any solvency mechanism available under
1abc with 2abc. The "at least" seems to allow mechanisms beyond just
subsidy cuts to avoid extra topicality problems.

The primary differences seem to be:

1.       With 2abc, the affirmative cannot avoid subsidy cuts for the
purposes of disad links. With 1abc, they can run cases with other
mechanisms and leave the subsidies alone.

2.       With 2abc, the affirmative can theoretically do mechanisms
beyond what 1abc would allow. However, since the subsidy cut would also
have to be in there, it should be possible for the negative to PIC out
of anything they didn't want to talk about and push the debate back to
the subsidy part.

Thus, 2abc seems to combine more affirmative flexibility with more
negative predictability. Since I'm not a fan of hard-wiring solvency
problems into the topic (and since a lot of cards use the word 'subsidy'
to speak about subsidies but also other mechanisms), I like letting the
affirmative do what they need to solve.

I'm not convinced the literature balance against subsidies will
translate into a topic balance favoring affirmatives. I think there are
tons of effects of subsidies which are decried by those opposing
subsidies but which can easily be turned by negatives. Plus, a lot of
that literature is not particular to all the types of subsidies so much
as the general concept. It may not give affirmatives great offense
against PICs.

Ermo