[eDebate] vote for rez 2 a,b, or c

Kuswa, Kevin kkuswa
Thu Jul 10 15:51:13 CDT 2008

The degrees of aff flex are so minor within the narrow range of choices
that it seems like, once again, we're asked to select from among the
same shades of pomegranate.

The discussion is good, but still muted...probably because the main
choices have already been made.  We basically know the topic already
with a few minute differences.  As DCH put it well, we still have to
defend a "post-subsidy world."  Multiplying the "number of affs" by a
certain number is a misnomer when they are versions of the same
essential type of advocacy.

Looking forward to the "revealing" of the topic.

Kevin

From: edebate-bounces at ndtceda.com [mailto:edebate-bounces at ndtceda.com]
On Behalf Of David Cram Helwich
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:31 PM
To: Jacob.Thompson at unlv.edu
Cc: edebate at ndtceda.com
Subject: Re: [eDebate] vote for rez 2 a,b, or c

Aff bias? Right now, I disagree, pretty strongly. The aff harms lit is
good, but affirming is likely to be pretty hard.

Couple of observations:
1. Politics DA links are brutal and pretty unidirectional. ConAgra can
outlobby Oxfam. This will force affs to go tiny on mech/subsidy, which
may not work b/c there are pretty good links to things like oil seeds,
or to go big to outweigh the DA. I'm fine with either.
2. Solvency lit is limited--there are not that many articles that we
have found so far that make a good case for a defensible 'post subsidy'
world. This is true for the 7 commodity crops we have researched so far,
and we are not exactly slouches.
3. There is plenty of lit on the far-ish left saying lifting subsidies
is bad for policy-friendly reasons.
4. K links are also pretty brutal. The link turn of 'we're pro-poor
people' will work for about three rounds before it is swamped by
incrementalism/reformism bad cards that are mech-specific.

Aff flex, please.