[eDebate] Don't be afraid of commodity one crops

Mike Davis davismk13
Thu Jul 10 16:58:26 CDT 2008

I guess predictability is not the same for me as the ability to
prepare on a team where we don't have many card cutters. I know that
on the neg we will have all of our subsidies argument. For me
fisheries and CAFOs are like two more topics. If I had a huge team of
experienced card cutters I wouldn't worry about debating three
different topics, but experience last year proved to me that we need
to have a coherent negative core set of arguments. I think the
commodity crops does that.

I hear the argument about good deep case debate every year, but it
usually seems like the generics rule the day regardless of the topic.
I would prefer the subsidies generic ground rather than process
counterplans. I guess for me it is the quality of of the generic
debates that matter. My guess is that you will see a lot more consult
or XO debates if we are debating a topic where people have to prepare
for subsidies and two completely different animal affs than you would
under a subsidies only topic.

The worst option is the one that includes both commodity crops and
CAFOs and fisheries.

Mike